15601Stefan's Florilegium files for March

  • Stefan li Rous
    Apr 5, 2010
      Greetings to the Gentles of Known World,

      Here is a copy of my Florilegium article for April detailing what is
      new in the Florilegium this month.

      I am always looking for good articles for the Florilegium. If you have
      researched a little known subject in our period or you practice a
      little known art or craft, writing an article is an excellent way to
      introduce others to the work you've done. I'm especially interested in
      academic papers written for A&S contests because, unfortunately, few
      have time at such an event to read them. Even the judges. Getting them
      published in the Florilegium lets your hard word benefit the entire
      Known World. A number of people indicated they would send me articles
      or class handouts at Gulf Wars but I have yet to get them. :-(

      If you are a newsletter editor and would like to get a copy of this
      monthly article for your print newsletter several weeks before I post
      it to the mail lists, please contact me. If you publish a newsletter
      on the web, I also have a version of this article which includes the
      links for each file. If you would like to get on my list for the web
      version of this article, please email me.

      Please support the Florilegium so I can keep it online by clicking on
      any ads that look interesting to you. The amount advertisers are
      willing to pay is affected by the number of 'clicks' they get. Each
      new ad click seems to add a few more cents to the total.

      Thanks,
      Stefan

      ---------
      A Blending of the Past and Present

      Over the past twenty years in an ongoing effort, I have been
      collecting bits of useful information from various newsgroups, mail
      lists and articles submitted to me by their authors. In order to make
      this information available to others, I have placed this information
      in a collection of files I call Stefan's Florilegium.

      I am always interested in new articles. If you have written an article
      that would be of interest to others in the SCA, please send it to me
      for possible inclusion in the Florilegium. A&S documentation and class
      handouts will also often work out well. I am especially interested in
      A&S papers.

      Advertisements on the site pay for its upkeep. If you enjoy the
      Florilegium, please click on an ad or two each time you are there.

      THLord Stefan li Rous Ansteorra stefan at florilegium.org

      Here are the new files for this month:
      In the ACCESSORIES section:
      Rubies-Spphrs-art "Rubies and Sapphires" by Lady Rutilia Fausta.
      Viking-Beads-art "Viking Beads" by Lady Sileas ni Dhomhnaill of
      Goldenoak.
      In the CLOTHING section:
      merch-shoes-msg Lists and reviews of period-style shoe makers.
      In the COMBAT-RAPIER section:
      rapier-armor-msg Construction of armor for rapier combat.
      In the CRAFTS section:
      LMM-Repousse-art "Leather Mallet Medallion, Repoussé" by
      Lady Ingeborg bildsbriótr Ulfsdottir.
      In the EQUESTRIAN section:
      Women-Riding-art "Women Riding in Medieval Times – Practical
      Experiences" by Lady Isabell Winter.
      In the FOOD section:
      crockpot-dshs-msg Medieval dishes which cook well in a
      slow-cooker/crockpot.
      DYKIP-Brekfst-art "Did You Know it's Period? Part 7: Time for
      Breakfast" by HL Rowan Houndskeeper.
      In the SCA-CAMPING section:
      cmp-ckng-bags-art Camp cooking using boil-in bags for quick
      meals by Baroness Claire Shayhan.
      In the TEXTILE-ARTS section:
      oilcloth-msg Period oiled or waxed, waterproof cloth.

      Here are the updated files for this month:
      fd-France-msg Food of medieval France. References.
      gingerbread-msg Medieval gingerbread. Recipes.
      gums-resins-msg Period use of plant gums and resins. Myrrh,
      mastic, frankincense, camphor.
      hais-msg A medieval, Middle East sweet made of dates,
      bread crumbs, ground nuts, and sugar.
      kitchen-clean-msg Cleaning the kitchen after an SCA event.
      London-msg Medieval points of interest in and around
      London.
      macrame-msg Period macrame. References.
      olives-msg Period olives. Processing fresh olives.
      pewter-msg Pewter in period. References. Sources.
      raingear-msg Period raingear. waterproofing cloth.
      root-veg-msg Medieval and period root vegetables.
      SCA-gays-msg Acceptance of Gays and Lesbians in the SCA.
      SCA-transport-msg Typical and unusual SCA vehicles and
      transportation.
      shields-msg SCA and period shields.
      snow-msg "Snow", a white, creamy confection often
      served with wafers.
      ---
      Copyright 2010, Mark S. Harris. Permission to reprint in SCA-related
      publications is hereby granted if the file descriptions are left
      unchanged. Removing any of the updated files listed in order to fit
      the article into limited publication space is allowed. The article
      introduction may also be edited, provided the web address and contact
      info are retained.

      <end>
      --------