15598Re: [SCA Newcomers] Need some advice

    Apr 3, 2010
      <<Hi

      There is an ebay seller who has a number of gowns for sale that I like the look of but am unsure how "authenticly medieval" they are.

      Would appreciate some feedback on how close they are to the real thing. The links are:

      http://myworld.ebay.com.au/your_dressmaker_medieval/

      Specifically Item numbers 220579689100 and 300413437539

      Many thanks for any assistance you can give me.

      Merewenne verch Neste>>

      Not medevally authentic in any way.

      A good rule of thumb is anyone who uses the name of more than one fashion age in the name of a garment, and doesn't give an exact date or place, is NOT selling authentically styled clothing.

      This seller lists Civil War Medieval Gothic LARP and Renaissance all for the same dress. There is no way it can be all of those things.

      Describing a gown as "Medieval Celtic" means nothing. The two terms cover hundreds of years and a multitude of areas and cultures that had different clothing styles.

      If looking for authentic styles, the seller would be saying "1470's French gown based on illumination in the Hours of the Duc de Berry" or something similar, and hopefully have a picture of what they are basing it on as well so you can see how close they got.

      Lancaster, PA