      From: julian wilson <smnco37@...>
      Date: Tue, 5 Jan 2010 22:27:33
      To: <scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com>
      Subject: [SCA Newcomers] Re:Red was for harlots? I don't think so!

      Cailin,
      �at different historical times and in different Countries , city-states, &c., members of the world's second -oldest profession were required by law to wear clothing incorporating some form of distinguishing mark or colour. However, there were so many variations in the Laws relating to "official" prostitution, that what was respectable in one place and time, could indeed advertise a harlot plying her profession in another.
      However, given that a good Red was one of the more difficult and expensive colours for the dyers to achieve, requiring as it did the use of costly "kermes", - I think you must have been misinformed about that one.�
      The most common colour I heard of being used tolegally identify Harlots by some mandated article of dress, has been Yellow - and this relates to various places in Western Europe between The Norman Conquest and 1600.
      �BUT, that's not true of all of the area throughout the whole of those centuries.

      YiS,
      �Matthewe Baker,
      �Hospitaller for West Dragonshire,
      �Drachenwald.