14973RE: tent

  • Stefan li Rous
    Oct 2, 2009
      Anne of Canton of the Towers asked about disguising her mundane, nylon
      tent.

      <<< I am looking for help with my mundane tent. I have a Sears
      Hillary II tent about 6 yrs old and would like to cover up the blue
      and orange part of the tent and try and make it all white so it won't
      look so modern. A period tent the size I have is too expensive for me
      right now and I don't think I could put it up by myself. Also my
      nylon tent dries faster and I live in an apartment with no place to
      set up a tent to dry, so I like my nylon tent. I wanted to either try
      and paint it or maybe cover up the blue and orange with white nylon
      like the tent is made of. Has anyone painted there tent successfully,
      if so could you please let me know how you did it? >>>

      Is your current tent in two pieces? A breathable main tent with a
      waterproof rainfly? Or a single-layer waterproof tent? The problem
      with the latter is that is moisture from your breath can not escape to
      outside the tent, it will condense inside, making it moist and clammy.
      If your tent is already waterproof then painting it, which will ruin
      any breathability it already has, will cause you problems. If not,
      then painting it will probably not make it any worse.

      This is one reason that painting on canvas tents, even on medieval
      pavilions, is kept to a minimum.

      This file in the STRUCTURES section of the Florilegium does have some
      information on painting tents.
      tent-painting-msg (34K) 11/10/98 Painting and decorating tents.
      http://www.florilegium.org/files/DWELLINGS/tent-painting-msg.html

      Sheetwalls, often decorated fabric sheets or painted sheets are
      sometimes strung up around encampments at the big wars such as
      Estrella, Gulf Wars and Pennsic. You could do something around your
      own encampment, even if it only contained one tent.

      These files are in the Florilegium SCA-CAMPINMG section:
      Sheetwalls-art (12K) 12/26/00 "On the Creating of Sheet Walls"
      by Lady
      Meliora Leuedai de Ardescote.
      http://www.florilegium.org/files/CAMPING/Sheetwalls-art.html
      sheetwalls-msg (14K) 4/ 2/07 Using sheetwalls to separate
      encampments.
      http://www.florilegium.org/files/CAMPING/sheetwalls-msg.html

      Here are some more ideas on how to disguise a modern tent, in the
      STRUCTURES section:
      tent-dsguises-msg (23K) 8/16/05 Ideas for disguising modern tents.
      http://www.florilegium.org/files/DWELLINGS/tent-dsguises-msg.html

      The shape of some of the modern "bubble" tents isn't necessarily as
      non-period as most people think. Unfortunately, bright flourescent
      colors do scream modern.
      dometents-pic (3K) 9/21/94 German Landsknecht camp, painted
      1500-1550.
      featuring dome tents.
      http://www.florilegium.org/files/DWELLINGS/dometents-pic.rtf

      A period tent does not have to be expensive. A lot of it depends upon
      how big you want it to be and whether you want a grand pavilion or
      just a medieval period sleeping place.

      Here are some files in the STRUCTURES section. Most of the files in
      the Florilegium on tents are going to be in this section.
      p-tent-const-art (23K) 9/23/98 "Building a Period Tent" by
      Geoffrey Maynard
      p-tents-msg (56K) 8/24/08 Period tents and documentation
      sources.
      pavilions-msg (140K) 2/ 8/08 The making of medieval pavilions.
      Pavilions-101-art (16K) 6/28/99 "Pavilions 101" by Lady Giovanna
      Theresa
      Battista di Firenze.

      Large pavilions can be difficult to transport but sectioned poles can
      help. A lot of it depends upon the vehicle you have. Sometimes Viking
      "ship tents" or Mongol yurts have advantages. If you aren't much of a
      sewing person, but you are good at carpentry, both of these have
      advantages of the usual medieval pavilions. But the poles,
      particularly on the ship tent can be difficult to haul.
      yurts-msg (92K) 9/24/08 Round Mongol tents also called gers.

      If you are into decadence, sometimes, like when it rains, there is
      nothing to beat simply reaching up and closing the shutters...
      tent-alt-msg (48K) 9/10/01 Alternatives to tents for SCA
      events.
      http://www.florilegium.org/files/DWELLINGS/tent-alt-msg.html

      Stefan
      (Who usually sleeps at SCA events in a 17 x 17 ft. square pavilion in
      a double wood-frame bed.
      --------