14879RE: [SCA Newcomers] Schlepmobile -- Thanks!

  • Kyla
    Aug 18, 2009
      Hello Judith,

      I don't know much about car brands, but I do know a little about making sure
      things will fit.
      When you go looking for a car, there are some things you need to know and
      some things you need to take with you.
      The biggest thing we carry is the rigid golf case carrying the rapiers.
      You need to know the dimensions of the biggest thing you will be carrying in
      your vehicle - not just the length, as we found out, when trying to get the
      case into the back of some of the vehicles - they were wide enough at some
      point, but that width varied so we could not get the golf case into the back
      without putting a seat down.
      You will need to bring either a tape measure and those dimensions, or the
      actual item, to try fitting it into the vehicle.

      The longest thing we carry is a pole arm - 7'!
      We found that we could slide it down the driver's side of our 2005 Ford
      Explorer, but that makes it so that the passenger behind the driver must
      climb across from the passenger side - doable, but annoying.
      The 2009 Ford Explorer does not have the width to fit the golf case - we
      checked!

      We had to buy a car in May, and went from dealership to dealership with our
      gear, checking for which car would hold all of our stuff.
      We ended up with a Toyota FJ Cruiser - it's a tight fit, and if we are
      bringing archery gear, we can't see out of the back at all - but it does
      hold all of the stuff!
      The other car that would have worked was the Toyota Highlander, but that was
      a little more money.

      Both of those cars get better gas mileage than the Explorer, but not by a
      whole lot.
      Plus they all have 4 wheel drive, which means we are less likely to get
      stuck in the mud, as so many did at Pennsic this year.
      Since many events have us parking on grass, it's a consideration.

      Just remember to do your homework, and bring the largest item, or the
      dimensions and a tape measure, to make sure your stuff will fit.

      Tabitha Pennywarden
      Ravenslake, Midlands
      Middle Kingdom