      From: Justinos Tekton called Justin <justin@...>
      Subject: Re: [SCA Newcomers] New members!
      To: scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com
      Date: Monday, June 1, 2009, 2:12 PM

      On Mon, 2009-06-01 at 08:06 -0700, Maria Buchanan wrote:
      > Unless you have already done the research and know EXACTLY what you
      > want your persona to be, give it a year.

      Generally, this is good advice IMO, but I wanted to offer an additional
      suggestion.

      The approach I took, which worked out fairly well, was to pick a basic
      name, culture, and rough time period early, then gradually refine them
      as I learned more.

      I started out as "Justin the Carpenter, from Byzantium somewhere around
      the 10th century" and evolved into "Iustinos Tekton, from Constantinople
      born in 963 CE by modern reckoning". (The Gregorian calendar didn't
      exist in 963, of course.)

      When I registered my name, it registered as "Iustinos" because the "I"
      was preferred to "J" (though I have since been told by another herald
      that the "J", at that time, was simply a peculiar way of writing "I" and
      would in fact have been okay). "Tekton" is a Greek word that means,
      idiomatically for my time period, "one who causes things to be built."
      In modern terms, it's a trade surname that roughly translates as
      "general contractor."

      So I registered as "Iustinos Tekton" but still use my original working
      name ("Justin") as my Anglicized conversational name "since I am
      traveling among friends in western Europe these days." That's why I
      formally write my name as "Justinos Tekton called Justin", preferring
      the "J" that is less ambiguous in sans-serif fonts than "I".

      Over the years, I've added a long back-story and have worked into it the
      presumed reasons (in persona, not in reality) for my SCA awards. It's
      been fun to refine the story as time goes on, and to integrate mine with
      that of my lady wife, Milica.

      Point being, persona development can be a gradual thing rather than a
      final destination.

      I'm not disagreeing with what Lady Elizabeth said, just adding a
      slightly different perspective. :-) The two approaches are not
      incompatible -- I agree with Elizabeth, but interpret her advice as
      "don't create your fully-detailed persona right away unless you are very
      certain of what you want." It doesn't have to mean you can't start on a
      persona at all.

      I would also commend Elizabeth for making the point that you aren't
      required to register a name, and that one's persona isn't registered at
      all.

      P.S. To any newbies who think your first garb isn't up to snuff, I
      guarantee yours is better than what I wore at my first Pennsic. When I
      think back to my mixture of Celtic, Middle Eastern, and colonial New
      World that I was calling "Byzantine". ..{shudder} :-)

      Kind regards,

      fesswise reversed sable.

      justin@... http://4th.com/ sca/justin/