      From: Kyla <skycat@...>
      To: scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com
      Sent: Sunday, May 31, 2009 6:46:04 PM
      Subject: RE: [SCA Newcomers] New members!

      Hello Sarah, and welcome to the SCA and SCA Newcomers,

      I think it's great that you want to develop a persona right away, but I
      would like to point out that you do not need to have a persona, name or
      device to become a member.
      There is no obligation to ever develop a persona, or register a name.
      You may, if you wish to, do all of those things, and I personally think it's
      one of the fun parts of the SCA, but it is not a requirement.
      That said, if you would like help finding a name from a particular time or
      place, this is a good list to ask for help.
      If you haven't found it yet, http://www.sca org/ has a whole section devoted
      to helping people figure out personas, names and devices, as well as some
      basic garb and how to find the group nearest to you.
      There are also links to other websites which are devoted to special
      interests, like heraldry.

      I myself enjoy rapier, target archery, singing, playing the bowed psaltery,
      sewing - both garb and armour, cold working metal armour, leather working,
      and recently I have been learning about couched embroidery.
      My current name doesn't reflect my current interest in Persian garb and
      music.
      Not all of the things I am enjoying doing are appropriate for either the
      Persian persona or the Elizabethan persona - nor is that a requirement - you
      may try as many things as you wish to and have time for.
      If you wish to restrict yourself to hobbies and activities that would have
      been done by your persona, you may, but you don't have to.

      Sorry about the lecture, but it's been awhile since it was last said on this
      list, and I hope many new people will benefit from this advice.

      Do your research, try lots of new things, but most importantly, have fun,

      Tabitha Pennywarden
      Ravenslake, Midlands
      Middle Kingdom