      From: Coblaith Mhuimhneach <Coblaith@...>
      Subject: Re: [SCA Newcomers] Heraldry question
      To: scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com
      Date: Sunday, November 30, 2008, 11:05 PM

      Caitilin inghean ui Cheallaigh wrote:

      > What are the rules for wreaths of ivy?

      So long as it's drawn carefully (so that it doesn't look like any

      reserved or restricted charge), an orle of ivy should be just fine.

      Several have been registered in the last 5 or 6 years

      <http://oanda. sca.org:80/ oanda_bp. cgi?p=orle+ of+ivy>.

      > Can I use an ivy vine as a line of separation?

      Only if you can find evidence that they were used so in the 16th

      century or before. Complex lines of division invented after our period

      are generally not allowed, because they contravene the requirement that

      all submissions be period in style and content

      <http://heraldry. sca.org/heraldry /laurel/rfs. html>.

      > I found the templates for these on a site called Pennsic traceable

      > art, and would like to incorporate one or the other in my device.

      The Pennsic Traceable Art Project does offer a vine of ivy, but it's

      not a line of division, just a charge that can be used on the field

      like any other (including other line-like charges such as swords or

      arrows). Several of those have been registered recently, too

      <http://oanda. sca.org:80/ oanda_bp. cgi?p=ivy+ vine>, so a device

      incorporating one or more shouldn't cause a problem.

      Coblaith Mhuimhneach

      Barony of Bryn Gwlad

      Kingdom of Ansteorra

      <mailto:Coblaith@sbcglobal. net>