14019Re: [SCA Newcomers] name "Loudose"

  • Coblaith Mhuimhneach
    Nov 25, 2008
      lukeocracy wrote (speaking of the name "Loudoce")
      > So just so we're clear the pronunciation of the name is more like.
      > Lou-Dock instead of lou-dose?

      It's not much like either of those. I consulted with someone who knows
      more about Welsh pronunciation. Her rough approximation was
      \lluh-oo-DHOHG-wee\, where:

      \lluh-oo\ is one syllable,

      \ll\ represents the Welsh double "L", made by positioning your tongue
      as if you were going to make an English "L" sound, then blowing
      (without voicing, just the way you do when you go, "Shh!"); this is the
      first sound you'll hear in the lesson at
      <http://www.bbc.co.uk/wales/catchphrase/catchphrase1/lessons/
      lesson1.shtml?index>, and

      \DH\ is a voiced "th", like the one in "bathe" and "thy" (as opposed to
      the unvoiced "th" in "bath" and "thigh").

      She didn't have time to research further right now, so it's just a
      general guide, not tailored to your persona period. If you want
      specific information on the pronunciation for your period, I can try to
      get that for you. I'd recommend you go ahead and settle on a byname,
      first, so you can ask for a complete pronunciation for the whole thing,
      and expect it will take a month or more (because everybody's so busy
      with the holidays and/or end-of-semester business just now).

      Coblaith Mhuimhneach
      Barony of Bryn Gwlad
      Kingdom of Ansteorra
      <mailto:Coblaith@...>