12159Re: [SCA Newcomers] Arts & Sciences SCA Yahoo Groups for further info

    Jan 1, 2008
      In a message dated 12/31/2007 3:39:28 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
      goofy4@... writes:

      <<That's how we ALL do it, Patrick. Very few people start out even
      CLOSE to authentic.>>

      Exactly. I started out in a 4-foot high, 7-foot diameter nylon dome tent,
      wearing leather sandals or black fringed moccasin boots with polycotton wench
      garb. On the way to where I am now, I have moved through several variations
      on nylon cabin tents, and an old canvas Army tent before getting to a
      pavilion, Thermarest mattress on the ground covered with a few sheepskins to an
      old trundle bed frame and now to a take-down double size four poster with
      curtains and canopy slat bed. My garb has moved from what I described above to
      quite a few of my own invented patterns, most of which looked cool but bore no
      resemblance to anything period, to various attempts of varying quality of
      doing something that looked closer to right, to where I am now, using linen and
      wool and trying to at least get the silhouette right even if I'm not sure of
      the construction. And even at this level there are places to move on
      further; a friend of mine who is at a similar level to me (and who started out as a
      modern tribal belly dancer) recently got some good pictures of clothes taken
      from the tomb of a Spanish bishop that have given her a new way of doing
      neckline facings and seams which are making her construction a whole lot closer
      to period.

      Everybody does a little at a time, as they can afford it or have the time to
      learn it. It's taken me nearly 20 years to get to where I am now. Those of
      us who are a bit ahead on the road try to offer advice that cuts down on the
      learning curve we went through and try to help newcomers who are interested
      in authenticity get further along without having to reinvent the wheel, so
      maybe they can get to where we are now (if they want to) in less time.

      Lancaster, PA