11663Re: [SCA Newcomers] HMMM......

  • Labhaoise O'Beachain
    Nov 2, 2007
      like what? I merely meant that this is a traditional christian (stolen
      most like) celebration, not an RC pr PC celebration specifically. Large
      C Catholic is used to refer to RC (Roman Catholic) and small c refers
      to the larger christian church....

      As for our purposes, one would celebrate in the tradition of the
      period ... most likely in the Western European tradition. In the
      medival period and into the renessance, christians in Europe held to
      the (Roman) Catholic traditions under the Pope or Bishop of Rome.

      Eastern Europe and into Asia predominantly fell into a catholic
      traditon that grew into Russian Catholics, Polish Catholics, Eastern
      Orothodox, etc who followed the lead of the Bishops at Constantinople.
      These groups mostly did NOT celebrate Twelfth Night or the Feast of the
      Three Kings.

      I'm afraid I've traveled rather far afield, but while I'm here Epiphany
      is the celebration of the Manifestaion of Christ(go figure, how those
      got together) but epiphany is the "Ah Hah" moment that changes
      vision.... (well that makes sense, Christ appears(manifests), we all go
      AH HAH, realizing the way...)
      Labhaoise

      PS I NEVER correct other's spelling, MINE is TOO bad.
      --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, "tasuil" <tasuil@...> wrote:

      > hey, don't be like that...
      > --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, "Labhaoise O'Beachain"
      > <labhaoise_obeachain@> wrote:
      > >
      > > Psst, that is small C, catholic not large.....
      > >
      > > --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, Sara L Uckelman <liana@> wrote:
      > >
      > > > Historically, 12th Night was a major celebration in the Catholic
      > > > festival calendar; it's the 12th night after Christmas (the
      > > > intervening days being the 12 Days of Christmas, as in the song),
      > > > and traditionally the day that the three wise men came to visit
      > > > Jesus. You can read more about the history of the holiday at
      > > > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Twelfth_Night_%28holiday%29

    • Show all 23 messages in this topic