10660Re: [SCA Newcomers] Re: SCA terms (was On not being a fried egg at events)

    Jul 1, 2007
      <<I was very pleased with the "Cross-disciplinary
      Glossary of Terms for Historical Hobbyists" until I
      came across this clunker.

      Garb:SCA. Historical clothing, or "costuming" among
      Renfaire participants. "Serious" re-enactors and
      costumers avoid the term garb so they are not mistaken
      for SCAdians.>>

      Well, you have to realize that this is a page set up by very serious historical re-enactors, and that many of them view the SCA as not nearly serious enough.? They are right, from their point of view.? We don't make a necessity or even necessarily a virtue of putting effort into getting what we do historically accurate.
      On the other hand, there are places on that page where they note that "Contrary to popular opinion, there are people in the SCA who are serious about getting it right".? So they do balance it out. But it's a simple truth that many hard-core re-enactors do not use the term garb and that they don't want to be mistaken for SCAdians, who on average do not put in the same effort in that area as most re-enactment groups.

      Lancaster, PA