10308Re: [SCA Newcomers] Garb Question

    Jun 8, 2007
      In a message dated 6/8/2007 2:15:52 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
      naspiritwalker@... writes:

      <<Sorry but I just thought it was odd for 33 year old
      male to be admitting to having quilting experience.
      Personally I am more in to bead work, but, I still
      hesitate to speak of it in mixed company.>>

      Not in the SCA, it's not. No gender rules for crafts around here. I know
      female blacksmiths and male beaders, etc.

      I present for your edification the following conversation I overheard at an
      event:

      Knight and squire walking down a road having an animated discussion.. One
      assumes, of course, that they are talking about fighting or armor or weapons.
      Until they get into earshot.
      Squire: "Now, my embroidery..."
      Knight: "Your embroidery? I've seen your embroidery. It's a mess. The
      back's a whole bunch of tangles!"

      Then, of course, there is Viscount Master Master Sir Edward Zifron of Gendy
      (yes, all three earned peerages and a royal peer as well), current seneschal
      of the East Kingdom and frequent BOD member. People always assume his
      Laurel is for armor. It's for bobbin lace, if I recall correctly. Either that or
      embroidery.

      Lancaster, PA

      And yes, I am well awar ethat stacking up titles like that is completely
      non-period and completely silly. Viscount Edward is otherwise known as "His
      Etceteracy".