10284Re: [SCA Newcomers] Garb Question

  • schnauzer2@cox.net
    Jun 7, 2007
      I find that for a gambeson it fits better without the gores. U put my armor over the padded gambeson, so bunch is uncomfortale. If you put slits from just below your waist to the bottom in the fron, back and both sides, you have lots of freedom of movement, but no bunching.

      YIS,
      Sian verch Gwilim ap Lewelin
      Atlantia/Barony Ponte Alto
      ---- Billy <brim4799@...> wrote:

      =============
      Yes, this helps very much! Thanks.

      One more question to all. I'm planning to construct a gambeson from
      the Reconstructing History pattern (yes, from a moving blanket). Any
      thoughts about the gores? If I understand the pattern correctly (and
      looking at the garb we did last night), the gores basically double the
      circumference of the bottom of the tunic (the four gores having a
      total length equal to the width of both the front and back of the
      tunic). My mind says this is going to be a bit much with quilted
      material. Has anyone out there built a gambeson like this? Advice
      is, as always, greatly appreciated.

      Thanks,
      Billy

      --- In scanewcomers@yahoogroups.com, Sara L Uckelman <liana@...> wrote:

      > Quoth "Billy Miller":
      > > the tunic, but the neck at this point is just a raw cut. Anyone
      got any
      > > good advice about what should be done with the neck? Weblinks are
      always
      > > appreciated!
      >
      > This is how I usually finish necks:
      >
      > Cut a square of fabric which is larger than the neck hole, and cut a
      circle
      > in the square which is the same size and shape as the neck hole.
      Pin the
      > square to the *outside* of the tunic so that the holes line up. Sew
      around
      > the circle fairly close to the edge. Then, turn the square flap into
      > the inside of the tunic; iron it in place and, if you want, top stitch,
      > embroider, or sew some trim around the neckline so that the flap doesn't
      > flip back to the outside of the tunic.
      >
      > This method works also with necks where you've got both a circular hole
      > for the neck + a slit down the front, just make the slit in your square
      > of fabric as well.
      >
      > Hope this explanation makes sense!
      >
      > -Aryanhwy
      >
      > --