Re: "Little Joe" model progress...

  • Josh T
    Message 1 of 11 , Jul 17, 2006
      I did go by Air Power Park on July 1st and got several digital photos
      of the Little Joe. Both the panel lines and scads of rivets are
      there; they're flush mounted and hard to see through the silver
      paint. And yes, the panels seem to be some sort of skin
      reinforcement around the fin area (perhaps having to do with airflow)
      that is attached over top of the riveted area.

      If it is a mockup, it would seem to be a very well done mockup-- only
      the fake motor nozzles and oddly placed bolt recesses would make it
      seem less than the genuine article. I would find it strange that a
      mockup would have need for all those flush mounted skin rivets at the
      base, not to mention correct looking round and eliptical hatch covers.

      Josh T.

      > Josh Tschirhart finally convinced me that the angled panel lines
      are in fact some sort of
      > gusset plates that have been placed over the "scads of rivets," so
      I'm now completely
      > convinced that this is how all of the flight articles were built.
      >
      > As for the "gate guards" at Hampton and Wallops, I'm about 99% in
      agreement with you
      > that they're some sort of bad mockup. The only thing that gives me
      pause is the presence
      > of the bolt apertures BELOW the transition section. That would be
      in line with a booster
      > constructed with an early 80" diameter Type C capsule in mind (a
      very slim possibility,
      > admittedly)...
      >
      > James
      > __________________________
      > James Duffy
      > jduffy@...
      > www.rocket.aero

    • Bill Spadafora
      Message 2 of 11 , Jul 17, 2006
        I did the same thing with the one at Wallops. It has a production
        capsule ( actually a not so good copy) and the details on where it
        transitions to the booster are wrong. But if you crawl under it,
        there's a really large metal cross piece. The smaller motors mount to
        it and it's hard to believe they'd go through all that effort to make
        it and then stick dummy nozzles in it. The number of boosters flown
        matches the number of boosters made so I can only assume that there
        were some spare structural parts left over or parts that didn't pass
        quality control and they built the display models out of those. The
        display models have some interesting details that you wouldn't think
        they'd include on a copy. Those elliptical hatch covers are covering
        holes that were put in for separation motors that were never used. A
        lot of the riveting and panel lines are much clearer on the photos I
        have. I'd put them in the file section but they're huge.

        James, I've got 57 Mb of files for you. I could probably email them
        but it would be a lot easier to burn them on a CD and mail them to you.

        --
        Bill Spadafora http://home.att.net/~billspad or
        http://www.billsplumbing.com or