RE: [Scaleroc] Apogee Saturn V is OOP!

  • Chan Stevens
    Message 1 of 16 , May 1, 2005
      While I still haven't worked up the nerve to start building this yet
      (mainly just trying to clean out enough of the smaller stuff in my queue
      so I can give this one some serious time), I have looked over the parts
      and instructions, and other than a few drool marks I need to buff out,
      have the following first impressions:

      1) The chute package adder is a sweet deal.

      2) I initially thought the kit was a bit overpriced. Looking at the
      resin details, though, I'd say it's not too far off the mark. There are
      all kinds of resin details.

      3) Benchmarking this against the Apogee, the Apogee tower is much
      better, crisper details. The Apogee wraps look a little better too,
      though the Sirius wraps look easier to work with. Overall, in terms of
      number and quality of details, Sirius comes out slightly ahead.

      4) "Internal" launch lugs are a very cool idea. This is tall enough to
      stand on top of a rod, which is hidden inside the body. Given the likely
      weight, though, I'll probably cheat and use rail buttons.

      5) Estimated construction time in the neighborhood of 200 hours to do it
      justice.

      Very impressed, though, overall. More news when the construction starts,
      likely this fall.

      --Chan Stevens

      From: Chan Stevens
      Date: 03/23/05 13:18:19
      To: scaleroc@yahoogroups.com

      Holy cow! I built one for NARAM46 last year and love it, and just picked
      up
      one of Sirius Rocketry's 1:64 for this summer.

      I'm amazed, though, that Tim didn't send out any warning shots in his
      email
      blast/e-zine indicating that he was running low and/or discontinuing it.
      After all, it's their flagship kit and graces the cover of their
      catalog.

      --Chan Stevens
      From: "John Thro" <jrthro@...>
      Date: 2005/03/23 Wed PM 02:15:01 EST
      To: scaleroc@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: [Scaleroc] Apogee Saturn V is OOP!

      Anyone who has one of these, consider yourselves lucky! The Apogee
      Saturn V is OOP, until at least January 2007.

      http://www.apogeerockets.com/Saturn5.asp

      -John "I couldn't finish one of those if you held a gun to my head" T.-

      Don't forget to check out NARScale's "official" web page.
      Go to http://welcome.to/narscale
      Yahoo! Groups Links