honest john \ nike 2 stager ????

  • private
    Message 1 of 8 , May 1, 2004
      i was looking through a list of rocket launches that tells the time
      and where of sounding rocket launches from 1955 to 1969 ( there is 10
      pages of nothen but black brant launches :-) ) and i saw this
      entry ;

      196709 May HONEST-JOHN/NIKEWSPG Voyager Mars parachute test

      and a few more launches like it .

      does this mean that a nike was mated to a honest john booster to be
      flown as a 2 stager from white sands proving grounds ??? would love
      to see what the vehicle looked like ??? !!!
    • gcgassaway@aol.com
      Message 2 of 8 , May 1, 2004
        Bobby Hamill wrote:

        i was looking through a list of rocket launches that tells the time

        and where of sounding rocket launches from 1955 to 1969 ( there is 10

        pages of nothen but black brant launches :-) ) and i saw this

        entry ;

        196709 May HONEST-JOHN/NIKEWSPG Voyager Mars parachute test

        and a few more launches like it .

        does this mean that a nike was mated to a honest john booster to be

        flown as a 2 stager from white sands proving grounds ??? would love

        to see what the vehicle looked like ??? !!!
        <<<<<<<

        I googled "Honest John Nike" and the 4th link down was a good one:

        http://www.skyrocket.de/space/doc_lau/honestjohn_up.htm

        And a bit more here (see the english link at upper left):
        http://www.goerigk-jever.de/javelin.htm

        I don't think the specific one you are asking about is shown (in a photo
        anyway) but there's some Honest John and Nike combos there (even if some are
        re-finned Honest John boosters called Taurus)

        The Argo D4 Javelin has been modeled and flown by a number of people through
        the years. But I don't recall any Trailblazer-I's, which had the Nike upper
        stages (Trailblazer-II didn't use a Nike upper stage). And there's been loads of
        Nike-Tomahawk models, and some Taurus Tomahawks for FAI Scale Altitude, but I
        don't recall seeing anyone modeling a Taurus-Nike-Tomahawk.

        - George Gassaway
      • petealway@aol.com
        Message 3 of 8 , May 2, 2004
          In a message dated 5/2/2004 12:24:41 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
          bobby_hamill@... writes:

          > i was looking through a list of rocket launches that tells the time
          > and where of sounding rocket launches from 1955 to 1969 ( there is 10
          > pages of nothen but black brant launches :-) ) and i saw this
          > entry ;
          >
          > 196709 May HONEST-JOHN/NIKEWSPG Voyager Mars parachute test
          >
          > and a few more launches like it .
          >
          > does this mean that a nike was mated to a honest john booster to be
          > flown as a 2 stager from white sands proving grounds ??? would love
          > to see what the vehicle looked like ??? !!!

          I ran across this beast while researching the PEPP Aeroshell. These were
          also Planetary Entry Parachute Program (PEPP) flights. No photographs, but there
          were three figures in one of the papers. I just scanned and posted them.

          Here is a drawing of the rocket (note that the HJ fins are rotated 45 degrees
          from the plane of the view and appear foreshortened):

          http://members.aol.com/petealway/hj-nike.jpg

          Here is more detailed drawing of the payload:

          http://members.aol.com/petealway/hj-nike-payload.jpg

          And here is a diagram of the flight profile of those missions:

          http://members.aol.com/petealway/hj-nike-flight-profile.jpg

          If anyone ever finds colors for these flights, that would be swell, as that
          is an interesting-looking beast.

          Peter Alway

        • Josh and Jess Tschirhart
          Message 4 of 8 , May 2, 2004
            http://www.skyrocket.de/space/doc_lau/honestjohn_up.htm

            I think that the upper middle photo on this page is actually a
            Terrier-Orion.

            Josh T.
          • Evan Nau
            Message 5 of 8 , May 2, 2004
              scaleroc@yahoogroups.com wrote:

              >Message: 4
              > Date: Sun, 02 May 2004 04:23:06 -0000
              > From: "private" <bobby_hamill@...>
              >Subject: honest john \ nike 2 stager ????
              >
              >i was looking through a list of rocket launches that tells the time
              >and where of sounding rocket launches from 1955 to 1969 ( there is 10
              >pages of nothen but black brant launches :-) ) and i saw this
              >entry ;
              >
              > 196709 May HONEST-JOHN/NIKEWSPG Voyager Mars parachute test
              >
              >and a few more launches like it .
              >
              >does this mean that a nike was mated to a honest john booster to be
              >flown as a 2 stager from white sands proving grounds ??? would love
              >to see what the vehicle looked like ??? !!!

              I have several pics of a LLL Honest John / Nike / Nike sounding rocket
              launch. The payload was called "Daisy" from the petal vanes it deployed.
              I can dig them out and scan them if anyone is interested.

              Buzz
            • Ez2cDave@aol.com
              Message 6 of 8 , May 3, 2004
                887 4.192DS 1967 May 09 WS S/S Koomen/NRL

                I'm not sure if this is the same vehicle being discussed but the Date &
                Location seem to match.

                WEBSITE:

                http://www.univ-perp.fr/fuseurop/a/nasa67.htm

                http://www.univ-perp.fr/fuseurop/a/nasa.htm

                Dave Fitch
                NAR 26128
                TRA 517
                Florida

              • mmcreynlds@aol.com
                Message 7 of 8 , May 3, 2004
                  I've found a small black and white on-the-pad photo in Interavia
                  that almost certainly is the Voyager chute test. Need to run,
                  but here is a quick summary for now:

                  White overall.

                  Single thick black diagonal stripe down side of HJ & Nike stages.

                  White payload section, including the two pods visible.

                  Dark/black solid color for airframe section between top of Nike
                  and base of payload section (i.e. until just below pods).

                  Color of the two visible HJ fins indeterminant, but possibly white.

                  Color of the two visible Nike fins indeterminant, but possibly white.

                  The Nike fins measure out to roughly the size of those used on
                  the second stage of the Javelin sounding rocket.

                  I will try to get down two the UC San Diego library soon for a
                  non-20 year old copy of the photo to get better measurements,
                  etc. My copy says "page 908 INTERAVIA 19??" (1967?) at the
                  bottom. More later, but this should be enough to get a fun scale
                  model started.

                  Marc McReynolds

                • private
                  Message 8 of 8 , May 4, 2004
                    thanks marc

                    looking forward to the photo being posted :-)