engine

  • starwars1121
    Message 1 of 9 , Apr 2, 2002
      hi,
      does anyone no of a good medium power engine for a 2 lb rocket? Also
      that is not a reload. Thanks

      David
    • Steven Rogers
      Message 2 of 9 , Apr 2, 2002
        On Tuesday, April 2, 2002, at 02:14 PM, starwars1121 wrote:

        > hi,
        > does anyone no of a good medium power engine for a 2 lb rocket? Also
        > that is not a reload.

        An engine with 120 grams of propellant

        Steve
      • Bob Wilson
        Message 3 of 9 , Apr 2, 2002
          --- Steven Rogers <srogers1@...> wrote:
          > On Tuesday, April 2, 2002, at 02:14 PM, starwars1121
          > wrote:
          >
          > > hi,
          > > does anyone no of a good medium power engine for a
          > 2 lb rocket? Also
          > > that is not a reload.
          >
          > An engine with 120 grams of propellant
          >
          > Steve

          That would be a "scale" engine with 120 grams of
          propellant.
          Are you going for scale-like launch charcteristics?
          A SaturnV - like liftoff would be slower than say
          a Honest John - like liftoff.

          What's the scale subject of this 2pound rocket?

          Bob

          http://taxes.yahoo.com/
        • Steven Rogers
          Message 4 of 9 , Apr 2, 2002
            On Tuesday, April 2, 2002, at 05:07 PM, Bob Wilson wrote:

            > What's the scale subject of this 2pound rocket?

            In other words, without knowing at least the mass *and* diameter of your
            rocket, its difficult to even guess at an appropriate motor.

            SR
          • Bob Wilson
            Message 5 of 9 , Apr 2, 2002
              --- Steven Rogers <srogers1@...> wrote:

              > On Tuesday, April 2, 2002, at 05:07 PM, Bob Wilson
              > wrote:
              >
              > > What's the scale subject of this 2pound rocket?
              >
              > In other words, without knowing at least the mass
              > *and* diameter of your
              > rocket, its difficult to even guess at an
              > appropriate motor.
              >
              > SR

              That and just about anyone could go to the AeroTech
              site and look up the information on various F and G
              motors to determine what the Maximum Liftoff Weight
              is for a motor.

              Did your "scale" subject have a dark smoke exhaust?
              Then maybe an EconoJet G38 would fit the bill.

              Did it have a fast acceleration and white smoke
              exhaust then maybe a F50-W would work for you.

              Did it have a fast acceleration and near smokeless
              exhaust then maybe a F50-T would work.

              Or maybe you have to go with a G40-W.

              Is your "scale" subject a sounding rocket?
              A "weapon of mass destruction"?
              A man rated space vehicle?

              Each has its different characteristics.

              Bob

              http://taxes.yahoo.com/
            • petealway@aol.com
              Message 6 of 9 , Apr 2, 2002
                In a message dated 4/2/2002 3:16:17 PM Eastern Standard Time,
                starwars1121@... writes:

                > hi,
                > does anyone no of a good medium power engine for a 2 lb rocket? Also
                > that is not a reload. Thanks
                >
                > David

                The "scale" in scaleroc doesn't mean you put the rocket on a scale and
                consult us on what to do with that information. It means we want to hear
                what this amazing 2-lb rocket is a scale model of. Then I'm sure you'll get
                sound advice.

                By the way, I'm completely useless for advice on flying anything that heavy;
                otherwise, I would have given you a straight answer.

                Peter Alway

              • mrcluster
                Message 7 of 9 , Apr 3, 2002
                  Hi Steve:
                  4 D12-5 cluster - 99.72g propellant. I use the combinatin in
                  lots of 2lb plus Upscales. great fligths with Bt-80 sjize models
                  Keep em Flyin
                  John

                • petealway@aol.com
                  Message 8 of 9 , Apr 3, 2002
                    In a message dated 4/3/2002 7:29:36 AM Eastern Standard Time,
                    mrcluster@... writes:

                    > Hi Steve:
                    > 4 D12-5 cluster - 99.72g propellant. I use the combinatin in
                    > lots of 2lb plus Upscales. great fligths with Bt-80 sjize models
                    > Keep em Flyin
                    > John

                    I concur--I fly 1/2-lb rockets with D12-5's to great effect. Typically in
                    the 2"-2.6" range. The 4xD12-5 combination would scale up to a 2-lb rocket
                    4"-5.2" in diameter.

                    But I would tend to only fly a 4-engine cluster on a rocket that would fly
                    safely on 3 engines, just in case.

                    Peter Alway

                  • John Buckley
                    Message 9 of 9 , Apr 3, 2002
                      OK I'll put my 2 cents in. At NARAM42 I flew a 4 inch diameter, Thor Able
                      in the Giant sports scale competition. The model weighed just a tad over
                      2lbs with the motor installed, which was an F52-5T RMS. If you don't want
                      to use an RMS, then use the single use version of this motor, Which I
                      think would be the F50-5T? Anyway the model flew nicely with this motor,
                      ejecting at apogee. What model are you planning to fly anyway?

                      John Buckley