Re: [Scaleroc] half-dowel supplier?

  • gcgassaway@aol.com
    Message 1 of 8 , Aug 18, 2001
      <<I've had no luck searching online for hobby suppliers that carry half-
      dowel strips--that includes searching dollhouse suppliers. Ten years
      ago I found some 1/8" half rounds at a local shop that carried
      dollhouse supplies, but that business disintegrated a while ago.>>

      I think that both Plastruct and Evergreen have *PLASTIC* half-rounds. Far
      better than wood for scale models, unless the real things actually used wood.

      I've used those for my shuttle SRB's conduit strips.

      If your hobby shop does not carry them, then you can order direct.

      - George G.
    • Edd Pflum
      Message 2 of 8 , Aug 18, 2001
        Evergreen Plastic has half round in .125" dia. And 12-15" (?) lengths.
        Check their display (usually in the model railroad section) of your LHS.

        -Edd

        I've had no luck searching online for hobby suppliers that carry half-
        dowel strips--that includes searching dollhouse suppliers. Ten years
        ago I found some 1/8" half rounds at a local shop that carried
        dollhouse supplies, but that business disintegrated a while ago.

        Does anyone have a clue who carries these things?

        Josh Tschirhart

        Don't forget to check out NARScale's "official" web page.
        Go to http://welcome.to/narscale

        NetZero Platinum
        Sign Up Today - Only $9.95 per month!
      • Jonathan E
        Message 3 of 8 , Aug 20, 2001
          The larger "half rounds" from Plastruct are actually a bit more than half
          rounds. Still, it's pretty easy to do a bit of sanding to get them right.

          Another really easy way to do "half-rounds" is to get a sheet of balsa
          that's the same size or slightly thicker than the diameter of the half-round
          you need. Sand the long edge of the sheet to a rounded constant radius (or
          whatever shape the tunnel you want to reproduce is). Then cut it from the
          sheet using a long straight edge (steel ruler) as a guide.

          If you want a "quick finish" on your tunnel, apply Monokote (or other
          heat-adhesive film) to the "tunnel" before cutting from the sheet. I've used
          this method to do tunnels on Aerobees and Saturns for years and you can make
          very good-looking tunnels in just a few minutes.

          John Pursley

          > Evergreen Plastic has half round in .125" dia. And 12-15" (?) lengths.
          > Check their display (usually in the model railroad section) of your LHS.
          >
          > -Edd

        • Josh Tschirhart
          Message 4 of 8 , Aug 28, 2001
            Thanks for all your suggestions, folks... I did finally find some half
            rounds in 24" lengths at NESM--Northeastern Scale Models.

            Josh Tschirhart