Re: Research on the Internet

  • Todd Williams
    Message 1 of 6 , Sep 3, 1999
      Roger70129@... wrote:

      <snip>

      > Has anyone else tried Internet searches? What sort of luck did you have?

      Extrememly varied results. Sometimes you find lots of info, nice pictures,
      and references to more info offline. Other times you sift through mounds
      of garbage and never find anything.

      I generally start at Altavista, and work links found from there. You may
      have to try quite a few different searches to hit on anything useful.
      If you don't find anything (or even if you do), wait a few months and try
      again - there are new people and resources coming online all the time.

      I find that asking here on the Narscale list (and maybe on rmr) can be
      very productive - somebody else has probably already done some research,
      and it is amazing what some of you are sitting on...

      Todd Williams
    • Roger70129@xxx.xxx
      Message 2 of 6 , Sep 3, 1999
        In a message dated 99-09-03 21:58:26 EDT, Todd writes:

        << it is amazing what some of you are sitting on... >>

        Well, dangit, it's because I don't exercise enough that I have a big.... oh,
        wait, now I see what you're saying. Ha ha! Yeah, I didn't catch what you
        meant at first....

        Here's what I do when I do Internet research. I have AOL with "Favorite
        Places," and there I keep a folder jammed with search engines of every sort.
        Most hunt for text, but a few hunt for photos, etc. I pick a subject, get
        about 3-5 words on it directly relevant to the missile or rocket, then start
        searching. I usually pick one engine after the other, trying them at odd
        moments across the day so I don't get burned out fast. I often refine the
        search to eliminate bad hits (e.g., for the Ryan Firebird air-ot-air missile,
        I had to cut out all mentions of "pontiac" and (Power) "rangers"). Dumping
        the bad hits really helps. If I get too many hits, I put the results page
        into the "Favorite Places" so I can come back to it later. I also vary the
        words put in for the search (e.g., one time I might put in "matador martin
        usaf missile" and later I might try "matador air force missile" or "matador
        tm-61" or "matador b-61"). I use lower cases to avoid any case problems in
        searches.

        Here are four general information sites on search engines I've found that
        helped me pick which ones to use for the best info-hunts.

        <A
        HREF="http://dir.yahoo.com/Computers_and_Internet/Internet/World_Wide_Web/Sear
        ching_the_Web/Search_Engines/">Yahoo! Search Engine Directory</A>
        http://dir.yahoo.com/Computers_and_Internet/Internet/World_Wide_Web/Searching_
        the_Web/Search_Engines/

        <A
        HREF="http://dir.yahoo.com/Computers_and_Internet/Internet/World_Wide_Web/Sear
        ching_the_Web/Comparing_Search_Engines/">Yahoo! Compare search engines</A>
        http://dir.yahoo.com/Computers_and_Internet/Internet/World_Wide_Web/Searching_
        the_Web/Comparing_Search_Engines/

        <A HREF="http://www.monash.com/spidap.html">A Helpful Guide to Search
        Engines</A>
        http://www.monash.com/spidap.html

        <A HREF="http://www.kcpl.lib.mo.us/search/srchengines.htm">Introduction to
        Search Engines</A>
        http://www.kcpl.lib.mo.us/search/srchengines.htm

        These have given me 28 search and metasearch engines to work with so far, not
        counting the AOL Search system.

        If you want one page with a load of search engines on it, go here:

        <A HREF="http://www.monash.com/allsearch.html">Spider's Apprentice</A>
        http://www.monash.com/allsearch.html

        For photos, I try <A HREF="http://www.altavista.com/">AltaVista</A>
        (http://www.altavista.com/) which has a photo hunter.

        Moore later, Roger
      • Roger70129@xxx.xxx
        Message 3 of 6 , Sep 3, 1999
          For what it's worth, here are the search and metasearch engines I use for
          hunting down rocket and missile information on the Internet.

          <A HREF="http://www.miningcompany.com/">About.com</A>
          <A HREF="http://www.altavista.com/">AltaVista</A> *
          <A HREF="http://www.aj.com/">Ask Jeeves!</A>
          <A HREF="http://www.deja.com/">Deja.com</A>
          <A HREF="http://www.directhit.com/">Direct Hit</A>
          <A HREF="http://www.dogpile.com/">Dogpile</A>
          <A HREF="http://www.excite.com/">Excite</A> *
          <A HREF="http://www.alltheweb.com/">FAST</A> * (this one is wild!)
          <A HREF="http://www.google.com/">Google</A> *
          <A HREF="http://www.goto.com/">GoTo.com</A>
          <A HREF="http://www.hotbot.com/">HotBot</A> *
          <A HREF="http://www.infind.com/">InferenceFind</A>
          <A HREF="http://infoseek.go.com/">Infoseek</A>
          <A HREF="http://www.looksmart.com/">LookSmart</A>
          <A HREF="http://www.lycos.com/">Lycos</A>
          <A HREF="http://magellan.excite.com/">Magellan</A>
          <A HREF="http://www.mamma.com/">Mamma.com</A>
          <A HREF="http://www.metafind.com/">MetaFind</A>
          <A HREF="http://www.go2net.com/search.html">MetaCrawler</A> *
          <A HREF="http://www.northernlight.com/">Northern Light</A> *
          <A HREF="http://www.savvysearch.com/">SavvySearch</A>
          <A HREF="http://www.snap.com/">Snap</A>
          <A HREF="http://www.thunderstone.com/">Thunderstone</A>
          <A HREF="http://www.totalnews.com/">TotalNEWS</A>
          <A HREF="http://www.webcrawler.com/">WebCrawler</A>
          <A HREF="http://www.whatuseek.com/">whatUseek</A>
          <A HREF="http://www.vlib.org/">WWW Virtual Library</A>
          <A HREF="http://www.yahoo.com/">Yahoo!</A> *

          Those marked with an asterisk are among my favorites for good hits.
        • PeteAlway@xxx.xxx
          Message 4 of 6 , Sep 4, 1999
            >From: Roger70129@...
            >
            >I want to open a topic here on researching scale rocket subjects using the
            >Internet. In poking around for information on various early American
            rockets,
            >guided missiles, and the like ("American Dawn: 1945-1957" ), I've discovered
            >several dozen stunning sources of photos, dimensions, historical
            information,
            >and more on all sorts of nearly forgotten programs. I'm a bit overwhelmed
            >with material and have to slow down the search and sort through the hits
            >carefully.
            >
            >Has anyone else tried Internet searches? What sort of luck did you have?

            I've poked around some at work. Seems to be a decent source for photos,
            lousy source for dimensions.

            Roger, have you considered butting together a Links page indexed by rocket
            for the scaleroc page?

            Peter Alway
          • Roger70129@xxx.xxx
            Message 5 of 6 , Sep 4, 1999

              << Roger, have you considered butting together a Links page indexed by rocket
              for the scaleroc page?

              I'd never thought about that. I've been collecting data for a while,
              including loads of links, but I didn't know if the NARScale page would be
              able to do anything with it all. I'd love to give it a try if there is
              interest. It would give me something to do with all the "American Dawn" stuff
              I've collected, plus everything else.

              Who do I ask about that? (I suppose someone will write to me about it
              shortly.) 8)