Re: Blow Molded Noses

  • California Dave
    Message 1 of 10 , Apr 28, 2012
      --- In scaleroc@yahoogroups.com, "Mark P" <mark825rocket@...> wrote:

      > Hi Blake,
      >
      > I use Alumilite products to make molds and cast parts for custom production items - T-5 nose cone, pivot for my Gizzard/Giblet gliders, a prototype reducer with integrated motor mount, a hollow nose cone for T-50 tubing - but was looking to invest in someone else's expertise. I'd rather pay for the molding house to create a great part than spend the extra time making my own good part; or good-enough part, as the case may be. I think I do enough pre-fabrication of products at this time.
      >
      > I figured that someone here could provide a lead to me considering much of the scale community thinks and works outside of the normal box.
      >
      > Thanks for your input though as I may fall back after getting a commercial quote, or two, and make the noses myself.
      >
      > Regards,

      One way to make excellent nose cones that are quite large is to make your mold and use silicone RTV as usual. Mix up the polyurethane resin and pour a smnall amount and, before it "hits" twist the mold all around making sure that all inside surfaces are covered with resin...do it two times if you have to but...after it has set mix up enough expanding foam to fill the cavity that is left. After cure, cut off any over expansion, de-mold and you've got an aerofoam nosecone, easily made and exhibiting all the detail you could want. For mass production its cheap...time consuming but cheap! Your finished scale cone is also very light! its like gelcoat on a regular fiberglass two piece mold.

      Dave Bucher
      NAR 47674
      Tripoli 829