Re:What should I do?

  • lhartmanjr
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 1, 2003
      Brandon,
      I'd go back to the toy aisle at Wal-Mart and start turning all the trucks over and checking out the wheel and tire set-ups. I think a 1/64 semi would have about the right height whells and tires for a 1/43 one-ton. I like to raid the toy section at the local second-hand stores, too. They usually sell the little toy trucks really cheap.
      For cutting die-cast, I use a Dremel with a cut-off disc. (Be sure and wear safety glasses, the filings go everywhere.) You can use the Dremel or a bench grinder for shaping.
      Sounds like you have a cool diorama in the works!
      Lee Hartman
      Date: Fri, 28 Feb 2003 19:33:03 -0500
      From: "Brandon VanNess" <explorer2770@...> Subject: What should I do?

      Hi everyone,

      Okay, I'm sending a picture of the 1/43 to 1/46 scale apparatus I've been able to accumulate from my local Wal-Mart and Manny's Diecast. Two of the ambos and the Explorer are going to get the SCSEMS treatment with a whole new paint job, change of warning lights, and addition of a "tub" on top of the E cabs. The Ecoline van gets markings for the Red Cross. I'm awaiting the new International cabs from Boley before completing the other two ambos, which should give me two more Ecolines to mess with. Anyway, I was wondering what I should do with the 1/46th scale F-150 and Dodge Ram. I was thinking about light rescue trucks since I plan on using them in a diorama with an HH-65 helicopter (two ambos, the Explorer, and a couple of Crown Vics), but was wondering how I should cut the metal to get the cabs free without toooooo much hassle and an engineering degree.

      I'd also like to know if anyone knows where I could go to find 1 ton wheels (including duallies) for the pickups and spare tires to simulate duallies on the ambos, since they're an odd (non-1/24th) scale?

      Thanks for the help.
      Brandon V.
      explorer2770@...

      [This message contained attachments]

      ________________________________________________________________________ ________________________________________________________________________

    • Brandon VanNess
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 1, 2003

        Okay, next Friday I'll trek over to WalMart and Meijer and look for some 1/64 semis that will work.  I noticed Boley supposedly has 1/60 Internationals available, those might be in a little better scale, I'll just have to look and see.

        The picture, which I should have attached at the beginning of all of this, is what I'm shooting for.  Taken at the May 4, 2001 Clyde High School Mock Car Accident (I scheduled and set everything up for this event, plus I got to take all the pictures) in Clyde, Ohio.  The goal is for two E-350 ambos, maybe an International ambo (newer trucks to SCSEMS, a light duty rescue truck, lots of cruisers (Sheriff, SHP, Fremont PD), command car (EMS and PD), and, if somebody (read Boley) ever makes a cheap fire engine, an engine, truck, or heavy rescue.  The helo is the key (1/48 scale), and everything will be marked as close to the real thing as possible.  So Boley, if you're reading this, I need a Pierce Saber short body pumper w/ foam in 1/43rd scale.

        The Ford F series I have will get a bed cover, and thats that.  Nothing special, except sheriff markings, light bar, and a deputy putting up barricades.

        Well, gotta go.  I've got a lot of stuff to get done.  Anybody know what would look good crashed and how I should do it?  Also, anybody know where I can get some 1/43rd scale equipments: stretchers, Jaws, hose, figures that don't look like aircrews....

        Brandon V.

        explorer2770@...

        Crash and Lee, thanks for the help.

      • lhartmanjr
        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 3, 2003
          Brandon,
          I'd think that the "O" scale railroad people should be close enough to look okay in your diorama. There are a lot of other things in that scale (1/48) that you might be able to use, too.
          Lee