Printers for making decals

  • mwyrick416
    Message 1 of 7 , Feb 1, 2008
      Hey everyone, i used to make some of my own decals using an ALPS MD
      1000 printer. Since i can't find any ink cartridges at a reasonable
      price anymore, i have thought about switching to a newer style
      printer. I'm not looking to spend too much money on one, i'm just
      wanting something to use to make some cars for myself, and a few local
      departments. The one thing i did like about the Alps is that i could
      print white ink, so when i made a black and white, or a black car, the
      graphics would show up very well. Also my new computers are all
      running XP or VISTA, the Alps won't work on them anymore. Does anyone
      have any ideas of what reasonably priced printers i could buy? Also i
      would consider selling my Alps and all of the ink cartridges that i
      have if anyone is interested. Mwyrick41684@...
    • Ron
      Message 2 of 7 , Feb 2, 2008
        Hi

        I use an HP PHOTOSMART 7850, cost me around $150 or less I think, I
        have had it for over a year, do not really remember but not very
        expensive. It is an inkjet - I make the decal and Clear coat it
        with the Testors Clear Coat from the Decal System packs, works great.

        RON N.
        RONNEWBERY@...
        Live Long and prosper - make lots of models,
        And catch lots of Bass

        --- In scalecentral@yahoogroups.com, "mwyrick416" <Mwyrick41684@...>
        wrote:

        > Hey everyone, i used to make some of my own decals using an ALPS
        MD
        > 1000 printer. Since i can't find any ink cartridges at a
        reasonable
        > price anymore, i have thought about switching to a newer style
        > printer. I'm not looking to spend too much money on one, i'm just
        > wanting something to use to make some cars for myself, and a few
        local
        > departments. The one thing i did like about the Alps is that i
        could
        > print white ink, so when i made a black and white, or a black car,
        the
        > graphics would show up very well. Also my new computers are all
        > running XP or VISTA, the Alps won't work on them anymore. Does
        anyone
        > have any ideas of what reasonably priced printers i could buy?
        Also i
        > would consider selling my Alps and all of the ink cartridges that
        > have if anyone is interested. Mwyrick41684@...

      • Bob Rogers
        Message 3 of 7 , Feb 2, 2008
          I use an HP PhotoSmart 7350 inkjet.  It's less expensive but, seems to work OK.  I bought my decal film from a company I found on the internet and use Krylon Clear to top coat.  Krylon is called out by the paper manufacturer.  One thing to note about the inkjets is to not cut into the ink area or they will run.  Go head, just dare to ask me how I know :(.  You can buy clear or white decal paper.  You can't print white with an inkjet so you have to be careful with your decal design.  Another point about buying the decal paper.  Try to get together with some other folks to share the cost.  I don't remember what the packet of 25 sheet cost but, you can make a lot of decals from that.  Also, I don't know if there is a shelf life for the decal paper.  I guess I'll find out someday before I die.  Another alternative that I really haven't investigated very much is to see if one of the decal producers will print them for you if you do all the art work and take responsibility for the final fit and such.  Just a thought.  I'm done now.

          Bob Rogers
          STL

          RONNEWBERY@HOTMAIL. COM

          wrote:

          > Hey everyone, i used to make some of my own decals using an ALPS
          MD
          > 1000 printer. Since i can't find any ink cartridges at a
          reasonable
          > price anymore, i have thought about switching to a newer style
          > printer. I'm not looking to spend too much money on one, i'm just
          > wanting something to use to make some cars for myself, and a few
          local
          > departments. The one thing i did like about the Alps is that i
          could
          > print white ink, so when i made a black and white, or a black car,
          the
          > graphics would show up very well. Also my new computers are all
          > running XP or VISTA, the Alps won't work on them anymore. Does
          anyone
          > have any ideas of what reasonably priced printers i could buy?
          Also i
          > would consider selling my Alps and all of the ink cartridges that
          > have if anyone is interested. Mwyrick41684@ ...

        • John Hagen
          Message 4 of 7 , Feb 2, 2008

            > --- In scalecentral@yahoogroups.com, "mwyrick416" <Mwyrick41684@>
            > wrote:
            > >
            > > Hey everyone, i used to make some of my own decals using an
            ALPS
            > MD
            > > 1000 printer. Since i can't find any ink cartridges at a
            > reasonable
            > > price anymore, i have thought about switching to a newer style
            > > printer. I'm not looking to spend too much money on one, i'm
            just
            > > wanting something to use to make some cars for myself, and a
            few
            > local
            > > departments. The one thing i did like about the Alps is that i
            > could
            > > print white ink, so when i made a black and white, or a black
            car,
            > the
            > > graphics would show up very well. Also my new computers are all
            > > running XP or VISTA, the Alps won't work on them anymore. Does
            > anyone
            > > have any ideas of what reasonably priced printers i could buy?
            > Also i
            > > would consider selling my Alps and all of the ink cartridges
            that
            > > have if anyone is interested. Mwyrick41684@

            You CAN use any inkjet or laser but you will have to print on white
            paper (unless your decals will only be on white backgrounds) and then
            you will have to cut them out using an X-acto type knife, which is a
            real PIA for images and impossible for lettering. You could buy a
            plotter/cutter in addition to a printer, but that's another $300 -
            $900 and I can't guarantee how well they will work. There are cutter
            groups on Yahoo that maybe you should look into.

            Other than that, keep looking for Alps cartridges. They are still the
            best for low volume decals. And if you don't belong to the Alps and
            Alps decal groups on Yahoo, you should.

            John Hagen
            Milwaukee, WI
          • Mike Ryan
            Message 5 of 7 , Feb 3, 2008
              John

              Would you like to sell your alps printer, mine broke and I am looking for one.

              Mike Ryan

            • john@prowlcars.com
              Message 6 of 7 , Feb 3, 2008
                No.

              • charliec@firetrades.com
                Message 7 of 7 , Feb 3, 2008
                  I have one I was going to put up on eBay. Contact me off group.
                  Charlie
                  Claremont NH
                  charliec1938@...

                  No.