16039Re: [Scale Central] Brush trucks [3 Attachments]

  • David Moore
    Dec 16, 2013
      Brandon, I don't know if anyone makes a 2012 Ford F350 - or any recent Ford for that matter in resin.  Monogram did an early 90's version with the Crew Cab with dual rear wheels, and an F250 with extended cab.  AMT did a '97 Flareside pickup as well.  I am sure they can be found on eBay, but they would not be real current.

      I saw on www.policecarmodels.com where they have some late model Chevys, but no Fords - and those would be either a Suburban or Tahoe and may be metal.  I don't know too much about those manufacturers that they had listed.  Another possibility would be browse the toy section at Wal-Mart or even in Toys-R-Us and see if any "toy" could be detailed to your satisfaction.

      David

      On , Brandon VanNess <explorer2770@...> wrote:

      [Attachment(s) from Brandon VanNess included below]
      I had some time this weekend to work on my brush trucks, until I ran out
      of Plastruct E-4 90 deg elbows when I went to start the plumbing. I
      think it is time to move onto the chassis work...

      Here's a little history on this build. Three of the VFD's near my
      hometown have purchased Weis Fire Safety quick attack brush trucks in
      the past few years (www.weisfiresafety.com). Two of these trucks are
      regular cab Ford F-350s that each a flatbed with firefighter cross walk,
      300 gallon water tank and Hale HPX-200 pump. Very interesting rigs.
      http://weisfiresafety.com/recenttruck.cfm?did=25
      http://weisfiresafety.com/recenttruck.cfm?did=76

      Now, I've been looking for a resin regular cab Ford F-350, but haven't
      found one yet. Diecast kits, such as the Maisto or Matchbox kits, are
      out since I want this to be an all resin/plastic build for a contest in
      my hometown. Oh well, I'll be using Revell '99 Silverados as a base for
      the trucks, one regular cab, the other extended with 4x4 components from
      the Escalade kits and solid axle wheels from the AMT Chevy 3500 dually
      kits.

      The beds are designed for 60" cab-to-axle trucks, which the Dodge 3500
      in the picture is not. Currently, I have the tailboard, side
      compartments, water tanks, and hose reels finished and awaiting warmer
      weather for some painting. I have the compartment doors ready for the
      compartments, but those will be painted to match the cabs so I'm keeping
      them separate for now. The tailboard is a little high, but that's what
      I get for basing those measurements off of pictures.

      The focus around the tailboards is the pump, the Hale HPX-200 uses a
      Briggs and Stratton 18 HP V-twin engine. I had originally planned to
      use the engine motor out of the MPC turbine car/lawn mower engine, but
      that was a single. So, made a quick mold and got some extra parts, then
      made my own V-twin engine, which I then molded and shot some copies.
      Other than the fact that I need to work on my painting skills, I think
      they turned out nicely.
      http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v285/explorer2770/Models/Brush%20truck/IMG_2598a_zps6d96cffa.jpg
      http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v285/explorer2770/Models/Brush%20truck/IMG_2597a_zpsc1b43e4f.jpg
      http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v285/explorer2770/Models/Brush%20truck/IMG_2603a_zps420ba5a2.jpg

      I still have a long way to go, including making the 55" lightbars,
      modifying the Trumpeter scene lights, making the crosslay boxes, the
      crosswalk doors, and run all of the plumbing; that's just to finish off
      the beds. Then comes the cab/chassis work, including the front bumper
      with water turret, and the interior details. Oh well, it is going to be
      a long winter after all.

      More later. Brandon

    • Show all 5 messages in this topic