Hello!

  • Gwenhwyvar
    Message 1 of 8 , Aug 5, 2004
      Hello! I'm Gwenhwyvar of Sternfeld. I haven't
      decided on a surname, yet. I've been in the SCA for
      less than a year in the Barony of Sternfeld in the
      Middle Kingdom. I'm 22, married, Llywelyn ap Iowerth,
      with two kids Sean (3), and Katarina/Katie (2). So,
      I've been asked to do Star lunch for our Grand
      Pageant, and I'm looking for ideas. It seems that in
      the past they've done stews, but I'd like to do
      something different. I'm not sure, yet, how many to
      plan for because the autocrat said about 50 and
      someone else said 150........ I had two ideas, but
      I'm not sure if they are period or if there was
      something similar that would be period. One is Cuban
      Chicken and Rice and the other is Beef Stroganoff.
      The chicken and rice isn't common throughout the
      entire Spanish speaking world, I call it Cuban because
      my family is Cuban, which is where I learned to make
      it. Thanks!

      Sincerely,
      Gwenhwyvar

      =====
    • Cheri
      Message 2 of 8 , Aug 21, 2004
        I had two ideas, but
        > I'm not sure if they are period or if there was
        > something similar that would be period. One is Cuban
        > Chicken and Rice and the other is Beef Stroganoff.
        > The chicken and rice isn't common throughout the
        > entire Spanish speaking world, I call it Cuban because
        > my family is Cuban, which is where I learned to make
        > it. Thanks!
        >
        > Sincerely,
        > Gwenhwyvar

        Tell us how you will prepare them. List ingredents please.

        Is it chicken and yellow rice? (I'm from Florida and have not had
        chicken and yellow rice in YEARS. Yum)

        Anne
      • Cheri
        Message 3 of 8 , Aug 21, 2004
          --- In sca_recipes@yahoogroups.com, "Cheri" <celticcheri@y...> wrote:
          > I had two ideas, but
          > > I'm not sure if they are period or if there was
          > > something similar that would be period. One is Cuban
          > > Chicken and Rice and the other is Beef Stroganoff.
          > > The chicken and rice isn't common throughout the
          > > entire Spanish speaking world, I call it Cuban because
          > > my family is Cuban, which is where I learned to make
          > > it. Thanks!
          > >
          > > Sincerely,
          > > Gwenhwyvar
          > >
          > Tell us how you will prepare them. List ingredents please.
          >
          > Is it chicken and yellow rice? (I'm from Florida and have not had
          > chicken and yellow rice in YEARS. Yum)
          >
          > Anne

          Oh, and sandwiches made with Cuban bread. I think I need to visit
          my parents and get some Cuban sandwiches and chicken and yellow
          rice...now I'm hungry!
          Anne
        • Celia Zanger
          Message 4 of 8 , Aug 21, 2004
            I don't know where you are, but we have a fabulous Cuban restaurant
            here in Providence that has those kind of sandwiches. I only just
            tried them recently, but boy were they good. If you're ever in the
            area you should check it out.

            Adelaide, mka Celia Zanger
            On Aug 21, 2004, at 3:57 PM, Cheri wrote:

            > Oh, and sandwiches made with Cuban bread.  I think I need to visit
            > my parents and get some Cuban sandwiches and chicken and yellow
            > rice...now I'm hungry!
            > Anne

          • Cheri
            Message 5 of 8 , Aug 22, 2004
              --- In sca_recipes@yahoogroups.com, Celia Zanger <celia.me@v...>
              wrote:
              > I don't know where you are, but we have a fabulous Cuban
              restaurant
              > here in Providence that has those kind of sandwiches. I only just
              > tried them recently, but boy were they good. If you're ever in
              the
              > area you should check it out.

              I grew up in Florida, but now live in Washington (state that is)in a
              very small town. Can you say "I'll have meat, mashed potatoes &
              gravey with white bread just like everyone else in town, thank you"

              I lived in Houston for years and REALLY miss ethnic food ( and that
              is the only thing I miss), there were so many choices in Florida and
              Houston....ah well, it is beauitful here and peaceful, guess
              everything is a tradeoff of some kind. Hey, I did bring two boxes
              of Mexican food ingreadents, corn husks, peppers, sauces with me
              when I moved here, and an electric tortilla press, presses and cooks
              them!

              Anne
            • Gwenhwyvar
              Message 6 of 8 , Aug 22, 2004
                Well, it turns out that someone else was also told
                they could do Star lunch, so we're both doing it, now.
                And so, we're doing beef stroganoff, a chicken thing
                that I don't remember the name of, gazpacho, fruit
                with carmel dip, and that's all I remember.
                The way I make beef stroganoff
                Some sort of inexpensive steak or beef heart
                beef broth
                sour cream
                mushrooms
                egg noodles

                My Cuban Chicken and Rice is as follows:
                Tomato Juice
                Cumin
                Yellow Onions
                Green Peppers (optional, but good for color and flavor
                variety)
                Green Olives
                Juice from olives
                Chicken, bone in with at least some skins on
                I know it's not the healthiest, but it doesn't come
                out quite right otherwise.
                I've been making it for so long that I don't really
                measure anything anymore. All to taste and what will
                fit into a pot! The rice turns a little
                yellowish/orangey, but more so if one adds Bijol,
                which I don't usually bother with. I think my mom
                sometimes uses bay leaves, too, but I haven't noticed
                that this does anything terribly exciting for it.
                Minute rice can be made in with the chicken fairly
                easily, but normal rice is a little more difficult as
                it needs a longer cooking time and more water.
                I'm from Indianapolis, and while we have Mexican, I
                don't think we have Cuban, at least not that I've
                heard of. So, the last time I had a Cuban Sandwich
                was April 2003, when I was in Miami for my
                grandmother's passing. For anyone interested in
                making Cuban food there's an awesome website:
                www.icuban.com. I've used their recepie for Cuban
                sandwiches and the papas rellenas. For those not
                familiar that's seasoned ground beef inside a breaded
                deep fried mashed potato ball. It sounds odd, but I
                swear it's awesome. Oh, and the chicken croquettes,
                but I misjudged and they came out a little floury.

                Sincerely,
                Gwenhwyvar

                PS What I could really go for are some fried bananas.
                I just can't get those to come out right. Sometimes
                because someone sees black bananas and throws them out
                or I hide them, so no one will throw them out, and
                forget about them until it's too late!

                =====
              • Cheri
                Message 7 of 8 , Aug 23, 2004
                  So, the last time I had a Cuban Sandwich
                  > was April 2003, when I was in Miami for my
                  > grandmother's passing. For anyone interested in
                  > making Cuban food there's an awesome website:
                  > www.icuban.com.

                  Thanks! I'll have to look for the bread recipe, the only one I find
                  that are call "Cuban" bread is really French bread, not the same
                  flavor or texture at all.

                  I've used their recepie for Cuban
                  > sandwiches and the papas rellenas. For those not
                  > familiar that's seasoned ground beef inside a breaded
                  > deep fried mashed potato ball. It sounds odd, but I
                  > swear it's awesome. Oh, and the chicken croquettes,
                  > but I misjudged and they came out a little floury.
                  >
                  > Sincerely,
                  > Gwenhwyvar
                  >
                  > PS What I could really go for are some fried bananas.
                  > I just can't get those to come out right. Sometimes
                  > because someone sees black bananas and throws them out
                  > or I hide them, so no one will throw them out, and
                  > forget about them until it's too late!

                  LOL! You sound just like me. I could go for fried plantains, I have
                  not seen them for sell here at all, not even Spokane.
                  Take care and have fun with the feast.
                  Anne

                  > =====
                • Cheri
                  Message 8 of 8 , Aug 23, 2004
                    --- In sca_recipes@yahoogroups.com, "Cheri" <celticcheri@y...> wrote:
                    > So, the last time I had a Cuban Sandwich
                    > > was April 2003, when I was in Miami for my
                    > > grandmother's passing. For anyone interested in
                    > > making Cuban food there's an awesome website:
                    > > www.icuban.com.
                    >
                    > Thanks! I'll have to look for the bread recipe, the only one I
                    find
                    > that are call "Cuban" bread is really French bread, not the same
                    > flavor or texture at all.

                    Alas, no bread recipe, the search goes on. And they do say use
                    French if you don't have Cuban. Funny, they mention Ybor City, that
                    is where we got them. Dad would drive all the way there just to get
                    the sandwiches, he probably still does.

                    Anne