Re: Period German Sausage Recipe

  • RobertA
    Message 1 of 8 , Feb 21, 2013
      it epends on what sort of venison sausage you want.. here is some I've worked out over the years, cant say they are 100% period but sausage has changed little.. except it tends to be less lethal now a days... My daughter cant find her LiverWurst recipe..Sorry, and to the original poster, if you dont like ginger, just leave it out..

      Hunters Sausage

      4 lbs venison, coarse ground
      1 lb FAT bacon, fine ground
      8 cloves garlic, minced
      2 Tbl sugar
      1 Tbl salt
      1 Tbl sage
      2 Tbl freshly ground black pepper
      1 Tbl whole mustard seeds
      1 tsp ground allspice
      1 tsp caraway seeds
      1 tsp ground coriander
      1 tsp marjoram
      1 cup cold red wine
      1 Tbl Liquid smoke

      Mix dry ingredients with the wine, add garlic and Liq. Smoke
      Mix well with venison and bacon
      Chill overnight
      Stuff into Large hog casings, 8>10"
      Let rest overnite
      Med. Smoke till 'done'

      Landjaeger Sausage

      - OLDE BOHEMIAN STYLE -

      5 lb. venison trimmings, fat removed.
      5 lb. LEAN Beef - grind coarse
      2 lb. double smoked dry cure bacon - grind coarse
      1 oz. Fennel Seed - combine with all below and wisk together
      1 oz. Granulated Garlic
      2 oz. Brown Sugar
      1 oz. Salt
      1/4 oz. White Pepper
      1/2 oz. Black Pepper
      1/4 oz. Mustard Seed
      1/4 oz. Cardamom
      1/4 oz. Coriander
      1/4 oz. Caraway Seed
      4 oz. Soy Flour + 2 Cups White Wine

      Trim/cut up meat. Using a large meat grinder, grind the meat and bacon into a mixing bowl alternating until all is ground. add all above to mixer with paddle for 1 minute ( or mix by hand with rubber gloves). Fry some up and taste it, adjust seasonings if necessary! Stuff into casings, twist or tie off in 6 " lengths, lay on CLEAN/STERILE cutting board, wipe sausages with 50/50 water/vinegar solution, place a second cutting board and weight, on top and put in refridgerator for 24 hours, (sausages should be pressed to twice as wide as thick) COOL Smoke w/ Apple-Hickory mix (60/40) until firm and DRY.

      Venison Bologna

      8 1/2 lb Venison Rump/Shoulder
      1/4 cup Pickling Salt
      2 Tbl Sugar
      2 1/2 Tbl Mortons Tender Quick
      2 cup Powdered Milk
      4 Tbl Ground White Pepper
      3 Tbl Ground Corriander
      1 tsp Granulated Garlic
      1/2 tsp Nutmeg
      1 tsp Allspice
      1 tsp Paprika
      2 cup COLD Water

      Mix up the spices..water..and powdered milk and place in a bowl in the fridge..while slicing up the meat so as to fit through the grinder. Dump the spice mix on the meat and mix well. Grind on the fine setting..give it another mixing to blend the fat and lean...then stuff into
      beef bungs, parboil in beef stock, refridgerate over-nite, hang, cool smoke to light brown.

      Venison Breakfast Links Fresh

      4 lbs Coarse ground Venison
      1 lb. Med. ground very fatty Pork (When added together should be approx. 25 % fat)
      2 tsp salt
      1 Tbl black pepper
      1 Tbl ground white pepper
      1 tsp rosemary
      1 Tbl rubbed sage
      1 Tbl ground ginger
      1 Tbl ground nutmeg
      1 tsp allspice
      1 tsp cloves
      1 cup beer

      Combine all ingredients, Mix well, let sit in fridge overnite.
      Grind fine & stuff into small lamb casings 4", freeze.

      ENJOY...