Period German Sausage Recipe

  • Lady Marie d'Andelys
    Message 1 of 8 , Feb 18, 2013
      Does anyone have a period German Sausage recipe? that does not include ginger?
    • RobertA
      Message 2 of 8 , Feb 18, 2013
        hmm, my 1st post ... what sort of german sausage would you like ? I have several..

        --- In sca_recipes@yahoogroups.com, "Lady Marie d'Andelys" <deanies1969@...> wrote:

        > Does anyone have a period German Sausage recipe? that does not include ginger?

      • Linda Mills
        Message 3 of 8 , Feb 19, 2013
          I didn't post originally but would love to have a recipe for bratworst and liver sausage if you have them.

          Angustias

          From: RobertA <raldridge_mt@...>

        • Deborah Rackard
          Message 4 of 8 , Feb 19, 2013
            This is the recipe from Sabina Welserin for bratwurst.  I've made it for a feast, and it turned out really good.  I got pork casings at a local butcher to use for it.  I froze the sausage after stuffing the casings and then poached and browned them on site.

            Dametta

            25 If you would make good bratwurst

            Take four pounds of pork and four pounds of beef and chop it finely. After that mix with it two pounds of bacon and chop it together and pour approximately one quart of water on it. Also add salt and pepper thereto, however you like to eat it, or if you would like to have some good herbs , you could take some sage and some marjoram, then you have good bratwurst.

            From: RobertA <raldridge_mt@...>

          • RobertA
            Message 5 of 8 , Feb 19, 2013
              Bratwurst

              3 lb. Fatty Beef, Med grind
              2 lb. Fatty Pork, Med grind
              2 Tbl sea salt
              1 tsp mace
              1 tsp allspice
              1/2 tsp nutmeg
              1/2 tsp white pepper
              1/2 tsp black pepper
              1/2 tsp whole mustard seed
              1 cup non-fat-dry milk
              1 cup dark beer

              Combine all ingredients EXCEPT milk and beer, mix well, allow to warm to room temp.aughter to see if she has Liverwurst
              Add milk powder, mix well, add beer and mix throughly.
              Stuff into med. (3/4") caseings 8" long.
              To precook, bring salted water to a boil, add sausages & simmer for ten minutes. Rinse in cold water.
              They turn out best if grilled fresh.

              I will check w/ my daughter to see if she has LiverWurst recipe I dont as I HATE the stuff.. ;-)

              --- In sca_recipes@yahoogroups.com, Linda Mills <akladyfencer@...> wrote:

              > I didn't post originally but would love to have a recipe for bratworst and liver sausage if you have them.
              >
              > Angustias
              >

              > ________________________________
              > From: RobertA <raldridge_mt@...>

            • Elewyiss SCA
              Message 6 of 8 , Feb 20, 2013
                Is there a recipe for kielbasa out there?

                Elewyiss
                Ro'ah Chatulim

                --- In sca_recipes@yahoogroups.com, Linda Mills wrote:

                > I didn't post originally but would love to have a recipe for bratworst and liver sausage if you have them.
                >
                > Angustias
                >

                > ________________________________
                > From: RobertA

              • deanie schickler
                Message 7 of 8 , Feb 21, 2013
                  what about a venison sausage?
                  ------------------------------
                  On Wed, Feb 20, 2013 3:24 PM EST Elewyiss SCA wrote:

                  >Is there a recipe for kielbasa out there?
                  >

                  >Elewyiss
                  >Ro'ah Chatulim
                  >

                  >On Wed, Feb 20, 2013 at 12:03 AM, RobertA <raldridge_mt@...> wrote:
                  >
                  >> **
                  >>

                  >> Bratwurst
                  >>
                  >> 3 lb. Fatty Beef, Med grind
                  >> 2 lb. Fatty Pork, Med grind
                  >> 2 Tbl sea salt
                  >> 1 tsp mace
                  >> 1 tsp allspice
                  >> 1/2 tsp nutmeg
                  >> 1/2 tsp white pepper
                  >> 1/2 tsp black pepper
                  >> 1/2 tsp whole mustard seed
                  >> 1 cup non-fat-dry milk
                  >> 1 cup dark beer
                  >>
                  >> Combine all ingredients EXCEPT milk and beer, mix well, allow to warm to
                  >> room temp.aughter to see if she has Liverwurst
                  >> Add milk powder, mix well, add beer and mix throughly.
                  >> Stuff into med. (3/4") caseings 8" long.
                  >> To precook, bring salted water to a boil, add sausages & simmer for ten
                  >> minutes. Rinse in cold water.
                  >> They turn out best if grilled fresh.
                  >>
                  >> I will check w/ my daughter to see if she has LiverWurst recipe I dont as
                  >> I HATE the stuff.. ;-)
                  >>
                  >> --- In sca_recipes@yahoogroups.com, Linda Mills wrote:
                  >> >
                  >> > I didn't post originally but would love to have a recipe for bratworst
                  >> and liver sausage if you have them.Â
                  >> > Angustias
                  >> >

                  >> > ________________________________
                  >> > From: RobertA

                • RobertA
                  Message 8 of 8 , Feb 21, 2013
                    it epends on what sort of venison sausage you want.. here is some I've worked out over the years, cant say they are 100% period but sausage has changed little.. except it tends to be less lethal now a days... My daughter cant find her LiverWurst recipe..Sorry, and to the original poster, if you dont like ginger, just leave it out..

                    Hunters Sausage

                    4 lbs venison, coarse ground
                    1 lb FAT bacon, fine ground
                    8 cloves garlic, minced
                    2 Tbl sugar
                    1 Tbl salt
                    1 Tbl sage
                    2 Tbl freshly ground black pepper
                    1 Tbl whole mustard seeds
                    1 tsp ground allspice
                    1 tsp caraway seeds
                    1 tsp ground coriander
                    1 tsp marjoram
                    1 cup cold red wine
                    1 Tbl Liquid smoke

                    Mix dry ingredients with the wine, add garlic and Liq. Smoke
                    Mix well with venison and bacon
                    Chill overnight
                    Stuff into Large hog casings, 8>10"
                    Let rest overnite
                    Med. Smoke till 'done'

                    Landjaeger Sausage

                    - OLDE BOHEMIAN STYLE -

                    5 lb. venison trimmings, fat removed.
                    5 lb. LEAN Beef - grind coarse
                    2 lb. double smoked dry cure bacon - grind coarse
                    1 oz. Fennel Seed - combine with all below and wisk together
                    1 oz. Granulated Garlic
                    2 oz. Brown Sugar
                    1 oz. Salt
                    1/4 oz. White Pepper
                    1/2 oz. Black Pepper
                    1/4 oz. Mustard Seed
                    1/4 oz. Cardamom
                    1/4 oz. Coriander
                    1/4 oz. Caraway Seed
                    4 oz. Soy Flour + 2 Cups White Wine

                    Trim/cut up meat. Using a large meat grinder, grind the meat and bacon into a mixing bowl alternating until all is ground. add all above to mixer with paddle for 1 minute ( or mix by hand with rubber gloves). Fry some up and taste it, adjust seasonings if necessary! Stuff into casings, twist or tie off in 6 " lengths, lay on CLEAN/STERILE cutting board, wipe sausages with 50/50 water/vinegar solution, place a second cutting board and weight, on top and put in refridgerator for 24 hours, (sausages should be pressed to twice as wide as thick) COOL Smoke w/ Apple-Hickory mix (60/40) until firm and DRY.

                    Venison Bologna

                    8 1/2 lb Venison Rump/Shoulder
                    1/4 cup Pickling Salt
                    2 Tbl Sugar
                    2 1/2 Tbl Mortons Tender Quick
                    2 cup Powdered Milk
                    4 Tbl Ground White Pepper
                    3 Tbl Ground Corriander
                    1 tsp Granulated Garlic
                    1/2 tsp Nutmeg
                    1 tsp Allspice
                    1 tsp Paprika
                    2 cup COLD Water

                    Mix up the spices..water..and powdered milk and place in a bowl in the fridge..while slicing up the meat so as to fit through the grinder. Dump the spice mix on the meat and mix well. Grind on the fine setting..give it another mixing to blend the fat and lean...then stuff into
                    beef bungs, parboil in beef stock, refridgerate over-nite, hang, cool smoke to light brown.

                    Venison Breakfast Links Fresh

                    4 lbs Coarse ground Venison
                    1 lb. Med. ground very fatty Pork (When added together should be approx. 25 % fat)
                    2 tsp salt
                    1 Tbl black pepper
                    1 Tbl ground white pepper
                    1 tsp rosemary
                    1 Tbl rubbed sage
                    1 Tbl ground ginger
                    1 Tbl ground nutmeg
                    1 tsp allspice
                    1 tsp cloves
                    1 cup beer

                    Combine all ingredients, Mix well, let sit in fridge overnite.
                    Grind fine & stuff into small lamb casings 4", freeze.

                    ENJOY...