March Recipe

  • Jehan Yves de Chateau Thiery
    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 17, 2008
      This month's recipe comes from the Milham translation of Platina's
      "On Right Pleasure and Good Health" page 335 recipe 53

      53 Herb Soup
      Put leaves of vine and borage in a pot with water while it is
      boiling, then immediately remove them. When they have been removed,
      chop them on a board with a knife with parsley and raw mint. When
      they are cut up and pounded with a mortar, put them in a pot with
      rich broth and boil a little. When they are cooked, sprinkle with pepper.

      JehanYves
    • nd sca
      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 24, 2008
        This sounds interesting... any idea what the "leaves of vine" would be?

        I bought some "seeds of paradise" when I was in the carribean this past winter, the spice monger described them as similiar to black pepper and used the same way... I have seen grains of paradise in medievil recipies, does anyone know if this is the same thing?

        Natal'ia

        Jehan Yves de Chateau Thiery <jehan.yves@...> wrote:
        This month's recipe comes from the Milham translation of Platina's
        "On Right Pleasure and Good Health" page 335 recipe 53

        53 Herb Soup
        Put leaves of vine and borage in a pot with water while it is
        boiling, then immediately remove them. When they have been removed,
        chop them on a board with a knife with parsley and raw mint. When
        they are cut up and pounded with a mortar, put them in a pot with
        rich broth and boil a little. When they are cooked, sprinkle with pepper.

        JehanYves

      • Marcus Antaya
        Message 3 of 6 , Mar 24, 2008
          As far as I know, they're one and the same.

          I love my Grains of Paradise...I have to save them for special occasions though. I have a limited supply, and I can't get anymore 'till Pennsic.

          Congrats...and enjoy.

          Gyric

          Jehan Yves de Chateau Thiery <jehan.yves@signofth etiger.com> wrote:
          This month's recipe comes from the Milham translation of Platina's
          "On Right Pleasure and Good Health" page 335 recipe 53

          53 Herb Soup
          Put leaves of vine and borage in a pot with water while it is
          boiling, then immediately remove them. When they have been removed,
          chop them on a board with a knife with parsley and raw mint. When
          they are cut up and pounded with a mortar, put them in a pot with
          rich broth and boil a little. When they are cooked, sprinkle with pepper.

          JehanYves

          Lord Gyric of Otershaghe
          Troubadour, Entertainer and generally all-around nice guy
          REMEMBER: Eagles may soar, but Weasels don't get sucked into jet engines....

        • Susan Harmon
          Message 4 of 6 , Mar 24, 2008

            Tart in Ymbre day (Ember Day)
            from The Forme of Cury:

            "Take and perboile oynoun & erbis & presse out the water & hewe her smale. Take grene chese & bray it in a morter, and temper it up with ayren. Do therto butter, safroun & salt, & raisouns corouns, & a litel sugur with powdour douce, and bake it in a trap, & serue it forth"

            Looking at it from the recipe that you posted and then this recipe one from The Forme of Cury,  this looks closer to me that it is shoots of greens. Borage (Borage officinalis) – A hardy annual, borage is a weedy looking herb with bright blue flowers. Borage leaves are used in salads, sauces or in teas while the flowers are used to decorate deserts, lemonades, frozen as ice and put in liquors or other drinks. Plants grow to 2' tall and have bright blue, star shaped flowers. Grow borage in the full sun and well-drained soil with mulch covering to promote strong growth. Of course I could be wrong (I've been wrong before) but that's my 2 pence

            Brighit MacGregor

            On Mon, Mar 24, 2008 at 2:26 PM, nd sca <nd_sca@...> wrote:

[...]

            The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits.

            Albert Einstein
          • Susan Harmon
            Message 5 of 6 , Jan 9, 2009
              I found them on ebay at a reasonable price.
              Best of luck-

              Brighit of MacGregor

              bellies."
              -- Rabbi Israel Salanter

              "The duty of a good Cuisinière is to transmit to the next generation
              everything they have learned and experienced."
              -- Fernand Point, 1941(modified)

              ~Brightest Blessings  @-,-'--
            • Sewmantoo
              Message 6 of 6 , Jan 9, 2009
                I get my Grains of Paradise and other hard to find spices such as
                Sumac, Rose Hips Juniper Beries and Pre-mixed Powder Forte from The
                Pepperer's Guild out of Rhode Island. The main web site address is

                http://members.cox.net/periac/pepperers.html

                Good shopping.
                Labhruinn

                --- In sca_recipes@yahoogroups.com, Marcus Antaya <lordgyric@...>