Re: December Recipe

  • Serena da Riva
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 2, 2008
      Saltui! I am new to this list, I hope it is OK if I just jump in.

      > So you're basically blanching the chicken the the seasonings and
      then roasting it? Interesting. I wonder how much of the flavor remains
      on the flesh that way?
      > "Watch that there is a reasonable amount of broth." Does that mean
      > you're supposed to transfer everything from the boiling pot to the
      > roasting pan?

      This is an area where I have always wondered about the word 'roast'.
      My initial thoughts are very much the same as yours, but is that the
      modern conception of 'roast' as in 'in an oven'. Or would it be more
      accurate to assume that 'roast' is referring to a 'spit roast'? These
      two interpretations would yield very different results. Not having a
      personal spit for use, would it be possible to fake the spit roasting
      by boiling in the sauce and then putting the chicken on the grill?

      > Okay, now I'm going to have to dig up some verjuice recipes and try
      > this one out. By "mustard", do they mean ground mustard or a
      prepared mustard? One more item to look up ... ahhh, the research!

      I would go with mustard seed or powder, mixing verjuice with mustard
      seed/powder will yield a prepared mustard. To really make a good
      decision on that I think further research is the best way to go. I
      would need to look for other references to mustard in the same
      manuscript and see if there is anywhere where the author specifically
      refers to mustard seed or the other.

      This looks like a fun dish to try. I might give it a whirl for supper
      one night this week.

      Ciao!
      Serena da Riva