carrot cake

  • deanies1969
    Message 1 of 9 , Nov 19, 2006
      does anyone have a good carrot cake recipe?
    • Lisa J
      Message 2 of 9 , Nov 20, 2006
        --- In sca_recipes@yahoogroups.com, "deanies1969" <deanies1969@...>
        wrote:

        > does anyone have a good carrot cake recipe?

        You're in the wrong group. Carrots were not used in period.

        Post to rec.food.recipes, I'm sure you'll get tons of replies.

        Esa
      • Wendy Kellogg
        Message 3 of 9 , Nov 20, 2006
          Ah! But my understanding is that carrots were in period-- they were just not orange, rather a white/purplish color. Anyone heard the same or know for sure?

          Caecilia

          > does anyone have a good carrot cake recipe?

          You're in the wrong group. Carrots were not used in period.

          Post to rec.food.recipes, I'm sure you'll get tons of replies.

          Esa

          Sponsored Link

          Degrees online in as fast as 1 Yr - MBA, Bachelor's, Master's, Associate - Click now to apply
        • Karen J. Park
          Message 4 of 9 , Nov 20, 2006
            --- In sca_recipes@yahoogroups.com, "Lisa J" <maulkin1@...> wrote:

            > --- In sca_recipes@yahoogroups.com, "deanies1969" <deanies1969@>
            > wrote:
            > >
            > > does anyone have a good carrot cake recipe?
            > >
            > You're in the wrong group. Carrots were not used in period.
            >
            > Post to rec.food.recipes, I'm sure you'll get tons of replies.
            >
            > Esa

            They are having this discussion on the Authentic_SCA list right now.
            Carrots are found in some areas in our overall SCA period. They were
            a purplish color until there was a genetic mutation somewhere up
            north (Dutch, IIRC) which brought in the orange color.

            I have a late 1400s, Castillian (Spanish) persona and I can eat
            carrots! Mistress Brighid from the East has translated the 1423 book
            _Arte Cisoria_ which is a Spanish carving manual. It lists carrot as
            an herb eaten by the Spaniards. (Thank Heavens for translators!!)

            I can't find the recipe off-hand, but I am fairly certain that
            somewhere I saw a redaction for a carrot candy that is Spanish in
            origin.

            Also, according to the website (tertiary reference, take it as you
            will) www.countrylovers.co.uk/hort/histveg2.htm:
            "CARROT: A rather unpalatable and spindly rooted wild carrot can be
            found in Britain's countryside but we probably owe it to Flemish
            refugees from the period of Elizabeth I bringing the succulent
            cultivated variety to our culinary doorstep, although the vegetable
            has been cultivated for more than a couple of thousand years."

            But, having said all of that, no, I don't have a period carrot cake
            recipe.

            A sus ordenes,
            Constanza Marina de Huelva
            the Outlands
          • Marcus Antaya
            Message 5 of 9 , Nov 20, 2006
              Besides,

              period or not, why would we not help a fellow cook with a question, even if it's a personal response?

              I don't happen to have one, or I would send it, sorry.

              Gyric

              Wendy Kellogg <wfkellogg@...> wrote:
              Ah! But my understanding is that carrots were in period-- they were just not orange, rather a white/purplish color. Anyone heard the same or know for sure?

              Caecilia

              > does anyone have a good carrot cake recipe?

              You're in the wrong group. Carrots were not used in period.

              Post to rec.food.recipes, I'm sure you'll get tons of replies.

              Esa

              Sponsored Link

              Degrees online in as fast as 1 Yr - MBA, Bachelor's, Master's, Associate - Click now to apply

              Lord Gyric of Otershaghe
              Troubadour, Entertainer and generally all-around nice guy
              REMEMBER: Eagles may soar, but Weasels don't get sucked into jet engines....

            • James/Alasdair mac Iain
              Message 6 of 9 , Nov 20, 2006
                At 12:20 20/11/2006, Gyric wrote:
                >period or not, why would we not help a fellow cook with a question,
                >even if it's a personal response?
                >
                >I don't happen to have one, or I would send it, sorry.

                Google "carrot cake" - that's always my first step when I want a modern recipe.

                As for Period carrots, has anybody done the obvious thing and checked
                the Miscellany?

                Alasdair
                Argent, a chevron cotised azure surmounted by a sword and in chief
                two mullets sable
              • Amy E. Sousa
                Message 7 of 9 , Nov 20, 2006
                  Greetings!

                  I actually did a small amount of research on
                  period carrot cakes recently, and the closest I could
                  come to it was a Carrot Pudding which was extremely
                  late period. It has the consistency of...well, almost
                  a pound cake, but much more moist and dense. (If
                  that's possible)

                  I don't believe that anything resembling our
                  version of a carrot cake existed.

                  Oh! And also, I believe the parsnip is the
                  closest you can get to a period carrot now-a-days. Or
                  at least that's what I recall.

                  Cheers,

                  Elisabeth

                  --- James/Alasdair mac Iain
                  <alasdair.maciain@...> wrote:

                  > At 12:20 20/11/2006, Gyric wrote:
                  > >period or not, why would we not help a fellow cook
                  > with a question,
                  > >even if it's a personal response?
                  > >
                  > >I don't happen to have one, or I would send it,
                  > sorry.
                  >
                  > Google "carrot cake" - that's always my first step
                  > when I want a modern recipe.
                  >
                  > As for Period carrots, has anybody done the obvious
                  > thing and checked
                  > the Miscellany?
                  >

                  > Alasdair
                  > Argent, a chevron cotised azure surmounted by a
                  > sword and in chief
                  > two mullets sable

                  Lady Elisabeth Borden
                  Barony of the Bridge, EK

                  "MY Love in her attire doth show her wit,
                  It doth so well become her:
                  For every season she hath dressings fit,
                  For Winter, Spring, and Summer. "

                  ~Francis T. Palgrave, (1824–1897)

                  Sponsored Link

                  Rates near 39yr lows. $510,000 Loan for $1698/mo.
                  Calcuate new payment. www.LowerMyBills.com/lre
                • Kylie
                  Message 8 of 9 , Nov 21, 2006
                    I thought the same as you, Caecilia. I believe they were treated
                    as a vegetable, though, and not used as an ingredient in
                    cake-type dishes (though I must admit when I first read the
                    original posting from Deanies69 my reaction was "probably not,
                    but I wonder if...?" rather than "never ever ever" off the top
                    of my head. I think it's unlikely, but haven't been near any of
                    my cookbooks to find out though.

                    Danielis

                    --- Wendy Kellogg <wfkellogg@...> wrote:

                    > Ah! But my understanding is that carrots were in period-- they
                    > were just not orange, rather a white/purplish color. Anyone
                    > heard the same or know for sure?
                    >
                    > Caecilia

                    "The religion of the future will be a cosmic religion. It should transcend a personal God and avoid dogmas and theology. Covering both the natural and the spiritual, it should be based on a religious sense arising from the experience of all things, natural and spiritual, as a meaningful unity. Buddhism answers this description. If there is any religion that would cope with modern scientific needs it would be Buddhism." - Albert Einstein

                  • deanies1969
                    Message 9 of 9 , Nov 24, 2006
                      I would like to thank you all for you contribution into my quest for
                      carrot cake.....
                      I, myself, am still researching.
                      thank you all again,

                      Marie d'Andelys