February Recipe: Tenche in syuee

  • Esa inghean mhicDubh
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 5, 2006
      This month's recipe: Tenche in syuee

      9. A tenche in syuee. Scald þy tenche & atyre well & boyle it; & tak
      þe same broth & myed bred & tempere it togedere, & tak good poudre of
      canel & of clowes & do to þe sewe, & colour it with safroun & salte it
      & lete hit boile. & tak myced onyounnes & frye hem in oyle dolyf or
      vynegre or in wyn or in þe same broth, & do hem in þat sewe & sesen in
      vp with vynegre or with eysel; & after þat lat it no more boyle.
    • moirarowanborn
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 24, 2006
        I hate to sound dim, but where would I find some definitions for
        these terms? I don't have the foggiest what Tenche is.

        Moira
        --- In sca_recipes@yahoogroups.com, "Esa inghean mhicDubh"
        <maulkin1@...> wrote:

        > This month's recipe: Tenche in syuee
        >
        > 9. A tenche in syuee. Scald þy tenche & atyre well & boyle it; &
        tak
        > þe same broth & myed bred & tempere it togedere, & tak good poudre
        of
        > canel & of clowes & do to þe sewe, & colour it with safroun & salte
        it
        > & lete hit boile. & tak myced onyounnes & frye hem in oyle dolyf or
        > vynegre or in wyn or in þe same broth, & do hem in þat sewe & sesen
        in
        > vp with vynegre or with eysel; & after þat lat it no more boyle.

      • maciain7
        Message 3 of 3 , Mar 19 2:18 PM
          --- In sca_recipes@yahoogroups.com, Moira wrote:
          > I hate to sound dim, but where would I find some definitions for
          > these terms? I don't have the foggiest what Tenche is.

          There's a kind of fish called tench....

          Alasdair mac Iain
          Argent, a chevron cotised azure surmounted by a sword and in chief two
          mullets sable