Greetings all!

  • maulkin1@cox.net
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 10, 2004
      Greetings everyone! I'm your friendly neighborhood moderator. So far
      we have 7 members, so I decided to get things started.

      First a little introduction: My SCA name is Lady Esa inghean mhicDubh
      (aka Esa macDuff). I like cooking as a hobby, and decided to try and
      get into it in a medieval sense. I used Plain Delyte first, and
      branched out into a couple of other cookbooks. I have not made any
      feasts (yet), nor have I entered any contests. So I'm a real newbie at
      this.

      One of the things I wanted to try was cooking recipes from the
      original sources. This is because I cooked a recipe using someone
      else's redacted version, and it came out horrible. I decided to try it
      on my own to see how it would work out (also it was suggested I start
      from original sources). And here I am!

      If anyone else wants to do up a quickie intro, feel free.

      Rules: To make things easier, if you want to use your SCA name, that's
      fine.

      The usual common sense thingies: no flames, no spam (unless it's a
      cookbook you wrote, then that's ok), you know what I mean.

      So enjoy! The first recipe is going to come up this week.

      Thanks again for joining,
      Esa
    • Ruth Harton
      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 11, 2004
        Greetings all,
        I'm Danae of Athens. I've been cooking meals and feasts for about 6 years now. I like doing Mediterranean styles, but have done German, ship board and Late English. I've been slowly collecting cook books and am trying to do translations, but with mundania coming in every now and then, it's not happening quickly.
        I like to go for the flavor of the meal not the set written down.
        An example of this is I was helping cook a feast board meal when my Master, who was the head cook, didn't have enough oil. We figured out that the lentils and spinach dish that should have been cooked in oil, could have been cooked in the bacon fat that was used in another dish since nothing was wasted. The dish turned out pretty well.
        I like to try new techniques, and just love to cook.
        Peace
        Danae