Re: regarding cuban bread

  • Jerry
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 3 2:46 PM
      --- In sca_recipes@yahoogroups.com, "carrig37421" <carrig37421@y...>
      wrote:
      > Any chance this is a correct version?
      Mind if i nose in here :)

      I am new here and new to the SCA but i am a baker by trade so perhaps
      i can answer this question for you. I have looked at the site and
      read the recipe for the bread. Now your askign is it a correct
      version of cuban bread? Well the yeas is yes and no

      First you have to understand that pretty much every country has a
      bread that is akin to cuban bread, even all cubans dont agree on what
      makes up cuban bread. All that aside we make cuban bread in our
      bakery (i work for publix) and we also have a rather large cuban
      population that love it. Our "cuban bread" is made with lard, it
      contains no sugar. Having no sugar it does not have the same
      properties that other breads do. A can take pretty much any bread
      from flour to table in 2-4 hours but cuban bread takes 18 hours to rise!

      It has a smooth texture but a very bland taste, however it is good for
      people trying to avoid sugars.

      That at any rate is what is deemed as "real cuban bread" we also make
      another type of cuban bread which is more americanized. The bastard
      cousin is make with salad oil and is very much like french, perhaps a
      bit denser and richer tasting, but more like french than anything else.

      Hope that helps :)
    • carrig37421
      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 10 8:39 AM
        You're most welcome - but you really CAN do the peaches and bread at
        the same time ya know - how about a peach cobbler?? :D substutute a
        little molasses for the sugar -- whole wheat flour for the dough please ;)
        Carrig