Dykem

  • Bart Saxton
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 6, 2006
      I just discovered this stuff called Dykem Layout Ink. It looks like it'd be
      very useful for laying out the design on the die. Have any of you tried it?

      Bart

      "I must obey the inscrutable exhortations of my soul"
    • Dave Greenhalgh
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 6, 2006
        Hi If you have to resort to this,  dig a hole (deep)  bury all your equipment, fill in, and run away
        regards DTM

        I just discovered this stuff called Dykem Layout Ink. It looks like it'd be
        very useful for laying out the design on the die. Have any of you tried it?

        Bart

        "I must obey the inscrutable exhortations of my soul"

        Community email addresses:
          Post message: sca_moneyer@onelist.com
          Subscribe:    sca_moneyer-subscribe@onelist.com

        Shortcut URL to this page:
        Yahoo! Groups Links

      • Perry Wells
        Message 3 of 4 , Apr 6, 2006
          I've used layout inks in a machine shop environment. Works great.

          A period equivalent would be to hold your die over a candle to soot it.  Then you can draw your image in the soot.  A lot messier and the soot is more easily smudged.  But the same concept.

          I'd probably not try burying your equipment.  Don't see where that is any help at all.

          Master Thorfinn Graybeard

          Message 4 of 4 , Apr 7, 2006
            The ideal way to layout the design would naturally be how they did it in period, with a sharp scribe tool.  (You can see some of the layout lines they didn't bother to burnish out on some 14th century 'prestige' gold coins of the Low Countries.)   That's how I do it, but don't worry about doing whatever works for you.  For many years, moneyers in the West Kingdom Guild used a 'Sharpie' felt-tip pen with results about as good as Grunal's (which look like he just does 'by eye').

            Ian