New to the group, new to the hobby - but looking for coin blanks / planchets

  • Donovan Kaardal
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 2, 2006
      I've been going through the old messages and while I've found a vast
      amount of very useful information (to the point of converting me from
      trying to cast coins to trying to strike them), I've not found much in
      the way of reference to suppliers of pre-made blanks to use in coin
      making.

      I'm looking to start working on my first coins, and I've cast some
      pewter coin blanks (plachets?) to test with. I find actually making
      decent blanks to be annoying to say the least... not the part of making
      coins that I find interesting. What I've thought of doing is buying
      some rolls of pewter sheet and making a 1" punch and just hammering
      some out, but I cannot find a local supplier of pewter sheet (I'm in
      Toronto, Ontario).

      Does anyone have any advice on where I might be able to find a source
      of either coin blanks or sheet pewter in my area? I'd like to acquire a
      few hundred / thousand to play around with, and casting just isn't
      doing it for me.

      Thanks for any help that you can give!
    • Jasper Murtagh
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 3, 2006

        Donovan
        You can make your own flat sheets. Rio Grande catalog has flat sheet mold. Or you can make your own. I think someone posted here how to do so out of plywood, hinges and a handle. He did get the wood grain impression.

      • Perry Wells
        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 3, 2006
          Greetings to the SCA_moneyer's List
          From Master Thorfinn Graybeard, O.L. Outlands

          I buy 6" by 12" sheets of lead free pewter .0312" (0 .8 mm) thick for $7.35 US  in 6 or more sheet quantities from:
              The Contenti Company
              123 Stewart Street
              Providence, RI, 02903 USA
              800-343-3364
              The Contenti Company is a major US Jewelry supply house.

          This lets you carefully cut or punch 72 one inch coin blanks from each sheet at a cost of about 15 cents each, including the S&H costs for the pewter.

          You can also buy a rolling mill from Contenti for $255 plus S&H or from Harbor Freight (www.harbourfreight.com) for $189.99 with probably free S&H (I don't know if they ship free to Canada).  With a rolling mill you can roll your own 0.8 mm thick pewter sheet from 1/8 inch thick cast sheets.  This lets you use up your scrap pewter, and it let's you use cheap casting pewter available from many Jewelry supply houses.

          I use a Harbor Freight one ton Arbor Press with home made one inch punch dies to cut my coin blanks from the 0.8 mm pewter sheet. The Harbor Freight one ton Arbor Press lists for $43.99, but is often on sale at half price, or about $22 US.

          Also, a traditional SCA way to make coin blanks is to hammer then out of small pellets of pewter formed by a propane torch.

          By the way, a cast 32 caliber round ball (0.311 inch diameter) is the right size for a one inch round coin blank of about 0.8 mm thickness.  You can buy such a mold from Midway USA, a reloading supply house, www.midwayusa.com. They sell a  Lee 2-Cavity Round Ball Mold, 0. 311 Diameter, Product #: 281555, for $17.99 plus S&H. You should also have a Lead Dipper to easily pour the melted pewter in the bullet mold.  Lyman makes a nice one selling for $13.99 at Midway USA.  Lee sells a cheaper one for $3.99. Or you could get the cheap Lee bullet casting furnace to melt and pour the pewter, at about $48.99 US.  I did this for a while, but now use the rolling mill solution which offers much higher production rates.

          I have checked with most pewter suppliers in the US, and have not found any that make a one inch round blank in the 0.8 mm to 1.0 mm thickness range.  And most pre cut blanks you do find are very expensive compared to the 15 cent price range.

          In Service,
              Thorfinn

          Message 4 of 4 , Mar 5, 2006

            Hello,

[...]