gulfwars

  • Brad
    Message 1 of 9 , Mar 1, 2004
      Anyone here going to be at gulfwars?

      I'll probably be hanging around the blacksmith
      shop making copper jewelry, dies and stamping coins.

      -valgard
    • Gryffri de Newmarch
      Message 2 of 9 , Mar 1, 2004
        I'll be teaching Moneying at Gulf Wars, see the Artisan Row. I will be also
        working the herald submission tables.

        Gryffri Newmarch
        I'll probably be hanging around the blacksmith
        shop making copper jewelry, dies and stamping coins.

        -valgard

        Community email addresses:
        Post message: sca_moneyer@onelist.com
        Subscribe: sca_moneyer-subscribe@onelist.com

        Shortcut URL to this page:
        http://www.onelist.com/community/sca_moneyer
        Yahoo! Groups Links
      • Jasper Murtagh
        Message 3 of 9 , Mar 1, 2004
          We have a roll out of new software this month.

          Watch high-quality video with fast playback at MSN Video. Free!
        • Brad
          Message 4 of 9 , Mar 1, 2004
            --- In sca_moneyer@yahoogroups.com, Gryffri de Newmarch
            <Gryffri@n...> wrote:
            > I'll be teaching Moneying at Gulf Wars, see the Artisan Row. I
            will be also
            > working the herald submission tables.

            Great. I'll have to stop by.

            On another note:

            I've been cutting 3/4" blanks from pewter strips using a
            cheap hollow punch I picked up at a flea market the other
            day with a piece of sheet metal between the pewter and the anvil.
            It, however, leaves marks on the sheet metal which is picked up
            by the pewter if I strike over them. What do you guys
            recomend I use under the pewter when punching blanks?

            -valgard
          • g.p.franck-weiby
            Message 5 of 9 , Mar 2, 2004
              At 02:35 AM 3/2/2004 -0000, Valgard wrote:

              >" blanks from pewter strips using a
              > cheap hollow punch I picked up at a flea market the other
              > day with a piece of sheet metal between the pewter and the anvil.
              > It, however, leaves marks on the sheet metal which is picked up
              > What do you guys
              > recomend I use under the pewter when punching blanks?

              In the West and in An Tir, we used to pour a bar of pewter and roll it
              flat, ~1/8" thick for the annular punch backing. It got chewed up pretty
              quickly, but the circular cuts can be beaten closed with a hammer fairly
              quickly. More recently, we've found that plastic kitchen cutting boards
              work well. They come in Teflon and in polypropylene (I think it is). If I
              remember correctly which is which, the Teflon boards get chewed up rather
              quickly, but the polypropylene ones last long enough to be worthwhile.
              Maybe Emmerich can jump in here with a more certain memory of which is the
              best to buy.

              Ian
            • Gryffri de Newmarch
              Message 6 of 9 , Mar 3, 2004
                I have used both Teflon and a polypropylene cutting board and a standard $30
                leather punch. I do get some doming (the blank is domed) but it is not
                unmanageable. The edges are clear and the punch does not bounce. I use a
                four pound hammer and on thin roll have no problem with overstrike or

                Both boards held up pretty well, but they do retain the punch marks. My
                favorite board is a cutting board from Wal-Mart in a speckled grey color.

                Gryffri Newmarch

                Message 7 of 9 , Mar 3, 2004
                  <Gryffri@n...> wrote:
                  > I have used both Teflon and a polypropylene cutting board and a
                  standard $30
                  > leather punch. I do get some doming (the blank is domed) but it is
                  not
                  > unmanageable. The edges are clear and the punch does not bounce.
                  I use a
                  > four pound hammer and on thin roll have no problem with overstrike

                  Thanks for the tips Ian and Gryffri.
                  I used up a 1' by 2.5" strip of sheet metal punching 99 blanks
                  with no doming but I had to sand down the sharp edges on them.
                  I cut the pewter strips from 3 pewter goblets I picked up at
                  a flea market for 1$ each. I only used half the pewter from
                  the goblets so that's about $1.50 for 99 blanks which isn't bad.
                  Now I just need to make some 3/4" dies to stamp them with.

                  -valgard
                • g.p.franck-weiby
                  Message 8 of 9 , Mar 3, 2004
                    At 02:50 PM 3/3/2004 -0000, valgard wrote:

                    > Thanks for the tips Ian and Gryffri.
                    >" strip of sheet metal punching 99 blanks
                    > with no doming but I had to sand down the sharp edges on them.
                    > I cut the pewter strips from 3 pewter goblets I picked up at
                    > a flea market for 1$ each. I only used half the pewter from
                    > the goblets so that's about $1.50 for 99 blanks which isn't bad.
                    >" dies to stamp them with.

                    Second hand thrift shop pewter tankards are handy to keep around. You can
                    be at a war, and suddenly a friend needs to pay his mercenary troops; you
                    cut open the tankard and hack the sides into squares, strike them with a
                    generic set of dies, without even cutting the pieces round, and call it
                    'siege money' - the fighters love it!

                    Ian
                  • g.p.franck-weiby
                    Message 9 of 9 , Mar 3, 2004
                      At 07:23 AM 3/3/2004 -0500, Gryffri wrote:
                      > I have used both Teflon and a polypropylene cutting board and a
                      >standard $30
                      > I do get some doming (the blank is domed) but it is not
                      > I use a
                      > four pound hammer and on thin roll have no problem with overstrike or
                      >
                      > My
                      > favorite board is a cutting board from Wal-Mart in a speckled grey color.

                      I wouldn't buy anything from Wal-Mart purely for
                      political/economic/cultural reasons that are irrelavant here. However, the
                      speckled gray cutting board I tried got deeply chewed quickly and
                      ultimately broke into pieces.

                      Ian