Coin History?

  • Corwyn and Carowyn
    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 1, 2002
      Greetings to the list!

      Is there a historical inventory anywhere of all the coins / tokens made
      within the SCA, why, where, and for what reason, etc.? I think that
      would be an invaluable tool for people who would like to collect tokens
      and coinage!

      -Caro

      GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!
      http://dl.www.juno.com/get/web/.
    • brogoose
      Message 2 of 5 , Apr 1, 2002
        > Greetings to the list!
        >
        > Is there a historical inventory anywhere of all the coins / tokens made
        > within the SCA, why, where, and for what reason, etc.? I think that
        > would be an invaluable tool for people who would like to collect tokens
        > and coinage!
        >
        > -Caro

        Ian in An Tir used to have a list, and I believe Emmerich of the
        InterKingdom Moneyers' Guild might. However, no one is going to have a
        complete list. Perhaps this Moniers' list would be a good place to begin
        compiling one.
        Edwin
      • Corwyn and Carowyn
        Message 3 of 5 , Apr 9, 2002
          Greetings!

          >> Is there a historical inventory anywhere of all the coins / tokens
          made
          >> within the SCA, why, where, and for what reason, etc.? I think that
          >> would be an invaluable tool for people who would like to collect
          >tokens and coinage!

          >Ian in An Tir used to have a list, and I believe Emmerich of the
          >InterKingdom Moneyers' Guild might. However, no one is going to have
          >a complete list. Perhaps this Moniers' list would be a good place to
          >begin compiling one.

          I think that would be a Very Good Idea! Especially for the InterKingdom
          Moneyers' Guild, to know what's out there, and who's doing what. I'd
          dearly love a folder with all the pictures and stats of SCA coinage....

          -Caro, who's in a SCA-money poor kingdom, and who'd love to start
          collecting!

          GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!
          http://dl.www.juno.com/get/web/.
        • Jasper Murtagh
          Message 4 of 5 , Apr 10, 2002
            Check out Meridies Moneyer guild data base KM-moneyer. has some of my
            inventory. HINT to the other meridies moneyers add your work.

          • brogoose
            Message 5 of 5 , Apr 10, 2002
              Hello SCA Moneyers:
              I just received a book from "kaliescoins" called "Reading Medieval European
              Coins." It is about the size and scope of a Compleate Anachronist
              publication, but it seems very useful for its size. I recommend it. It is
              listed in Amazon.com for about $12.00. The seller I bought it from is
              listed below the Description. I don't have any relation to the seller, but
              I was very happy with the transaction.
              Edwin, Caid

              Great reference book by Ralph S. Walker. This is the newest edition,....
              "Reading Medieval European Coins", with an additional bibliography by Allen
              G. Berman.. This little reference is designed to make it easier for
              collectors of Medieval European coins to interpret the legends on their
              coins. Some of the topics covered include: Styles of Latin Letters in the
              Middle Ages, Abbreviations, Monograms, Word Seperators, The Grammar of
              Medieval Numismatic Latin, Names of Persons and Places, Other Languages and
              Scripts...... Slavonic, Arabic, Greek, Hebrew & other Vernacular Languages,
              Titles, Names , Religious Legends, etc. Published yr. 2000, second edition
              by Attic Books Ltd. Paperback. 44 pages with black and white illustrations
              throughout. A must have for every numismatic library!

              Book Description
              This book de-mystifies medieval coins. New second edition of the only
              inexpensive book on understanding the unusual world of medieval European
              coin inscriptions. The author takes the reader through all the aspects of
              reading medieval European coins. He explains the styles of medieval letters,
              together with the idiosyncrasies of minting. Chapters on abbreviations,
              monograms and word separators are of great importance, along with medieval
              numismatic grammer. Latin, the primary numismatic language, is an important
              section. Another provides a brief acquaintance with other languages such as
              Slavonic, Arabic, Greek, Hebrew and other vernacular languages.

              The helpful appendicies include (a) an illustrative list of personal names,
              (b) titles on medieval European coins, (c) useful words found on medieval
              coins, and (d) sample religious legends on medieval coins. Also includes an
              expanded and updated bibliography by Allen G. Berman. 44 pages,
              illuustrated. --This text refers to the Paperback edition.

              About the Author
              "We know Ralph Walker well, having enjoyed a long author-editor relationship
              with him, and are impressed with all his writings. His is the type of author
              editors love -- he writes only based on his own original research or as a
              compiler of the research of others; he rarely (if ever) makes a mistake of
              grammar, spelling, or numismatic fact; and he writes seldom enough so that
              virtually everything he produces can be published without fear of
              overloading the sensibilities of any reader group. Also, his expertise is
              wide, varied and deep." --World Coin News --This text refers to the
              Paperback edition.

              Available through:
              Kevin Tompkins
              112 Amy Lane