die questions

  • Jeffrey Mack
    Message 1 of 1 , May 2, 2000
      I read on a web site (i think someone posted it here too) that 7/8" grade 5
      bolts make handy stock for making dies. Only problem is after touring
      through around 20 hardware stores, no one in my area carries above 3/4"...

      So my question, what was it about grade 5 bolts that makes em desirable?
      Are they mild steel or carbon steel, could I use mild steel rod, or that
      stuff they sell at home improvement centers called "weldable steel rod" (any
      one know if that is mild or carbon steel???).

      Or what else has every one used for die blanks??? Thanks for the help, and
      my appologies for the rambling nature of this post (no more late night
      posting for me)

      -Ragnar
      MKA Jeff

      Ars longa, vita brevis.