Introduction

  • Ann Seeton
    Message 1 of 11 , Apr 14, 2013
      Read an article about coin making in the SCA that sparked my interest.

      My SCA interest is Byzantium during the reign of Basil II.  Everything about this period is fascinating to me.  I'm wanting to learn a bit more about the money of this period (although it seems pounds of silk often served as wages!) and about striking coins.  I thought it would be fun to have a set of dies for a coin of the reign of Basil II and strike some for gifts and perhaps to volunteer to make as site tokens if I find I love doing it enough to do so many at once.

      Meanwhile, this week I start learning to card weave so I can copy this trim I found on a photograph of a tunic of near enough geography and period to be reasonable to copy for my persona's garb.

      So much to learn. So much fun.  Thanks for letting me join this list.

      Ann of Wellborn, called forgetful (Anna ????? still researching name)
      Shadowlands Chronicler, Shire of the Shadowlands, Ansteorra

      --
      K. Ann Seeton

    • JonThomme De Claydon
      Message 2 of 11 , Apr 16, 2013
        Welcome Ann,
        I lurk here quite a bit waiting till my time to shine (When i have more time)

        In service to the dream

        Baron Jon Thomme

        Gold is for the mistress
        Silver for the maid
        R. Kipling
      • ealdredmoneyer
        Message 3 of 11 , Apr 16, 2013
          Hi Ann,

          The YahooGroup home has a files section that has lots of information about how to make coins but it does not appear to be opening right now.

          If you go here on my web page there is enough stuff to get you started: http://mycoinpage.com/howtomakecoins/

          Best of all, Lord (Baron?) Duncan in Ansteorra is a Moneyer.

          Ealdred of Malmesbury, Northshield
          Dawson Lewis, Pierre, South Dakota

          Message 4 of 11 , Apr 17, 2013
            Welcome

            You will find a few moneyers here fond of Byzantine coins, and SOME
            versions are quite simple to make, being comprised almost completely
            of various sizes of dots.

            My class notes (from the class I usually teach at Pennsic are in the
            files section here somewhere.

            (It certainly is easier than that tablet weaving stuff, but a little messier)