Re: [sca_moneyer] Re: Minting in copper

  • James Coffman
    Message 1 of 47 , Feb 3, 2013
      LOL...the more we dig, the more we learn...thanks Arion.

      --
      "Make no little plans, they have no power to stir men's minds." - Daniel Burnham

      I may not believe as you believe, but I will die defending your right to do as you will-Voltaire-as paraphrased by my father L.Coffman(I miss you Dad)

      If man interferes with nature he must be prepared to take a greater responsibility.
    • Bart Saxton
      Message 47 of 47 , Feb 3, 2013
        Theophilus in Divers Arts also mentions using lees for a pickle solution.

        Ibn Bah'ra mentions sodium bisulfite in his 13th century "Secrets of the Cairo mint revealed"

        I have also encountered references to using tamarind juice to pickle coins. Some varieties of tamarind are so high in tartaric acid the are inedible.

        The only time I've had acid fume issues is when I foolishly got a bowl of muirtic acid boiling in a confined space. It was a very bad thing.

        arion12@... wrote:

        And to add more to the confusion, Cellini says
        in Chapter XXII: "After this you heat the vase once more and clean it with a solution of tartar and salt, in equal proportions as I described above."
        and in Chapter XXV: ""the blanching solution, that is to say, water with tartar and salt composed as I have described to you above.."

        I have yet to find where the "about" is in the text.

        Tartar is the lees of wine making. You can get it off the spice shelf as Cream of Tartar.

        Arion