Moneying spike

  • Folo Watkins
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 3, 2011
      Or whatever you call the metal spike on which you set the die when xtriking coins. I have located oak stumps for a new anvil and am probably going to commission a metal spike as well. Does anyone hzve any photos or line illos of what they are using?

      Thanks!

      Cheers, Folo
      www.micelfolcland.org
    • bart@bsaxton.com
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 3, 2011
        My best looking set:
        http://www.bsaxton.com/images/die-set.jpg

        The lower die is 1018 hardened by quenching. not that makes a big
        difference with that little carbon.

        The upper die has a 4140 face welded to a wrought iron body. Also
        hardened by quenching. It was a beautiful die. But about 800 strikes
        was all it could take.

        I've been reading "Four Early Medieval Coin Die from the London
        Waterfront" by Archibald, Land and Milne. They describe the
        microstructure of the dies but don't make a definite statement about
        the carbon content. Put all four of the waterfront dies have pearlite
        structures in the body of the die. The faces are high (at least .8%)
        carbon steel. The Cnut die in the study if high carbon through out.
        After my experiment with the wrought iron body and this paper it seems
        to me that a wrought iron bodied die would never make enough strikes
        to compare with medieval die outputs. Especially those mentioned by
        Brand in "the Shrewsbury Mint, 1249-1250" where they estimate die
        lifes of up to 46,000 strikes!

        bart

        Quoting Folo Watkins <folo1@...>:

        > Or whatever you call the metal spike on which you set the die when
        > xtriking coins. I have located oak stumps for a new anvil and am
        > probably going to commission a metal spike as well. Does anyone hzve
        > any photos or line illos of what they are using?
        >
        > Thanks!
        >
        > Cheers, Folo
        > www.micelfolcland.org

        > Shortcut URL to this page:

        Don't think about it, be about it!
      • Dave T Moneyer
        Message 3 of 3 , Sep 4, 2011
          Hi I have a pair of wrought iron dies made from ore hand picked from the lake ay Vaxyo Castle Sweden converted to bloom and then ingot and then forged by the blacksmith there to make a pile and trussle.Cut on site to make a viking die ( Sivert cf Cuerdale Hoard) and then used on site to strike 2000 coins (1000 in silver and 1000 in pewter ) Further use of die at the Bank of England produced another 13000 coins! Obverse die (pile shows very little sign of wear (only discernable under microscope, Upper die shrinks 8 mm every 1000 coins due to mushrooming. With a full set of dies (2x trussels 1 pile Viking period and 3 trussels/Pile post 1200AD) the figures quoted by Brand are easily attainable.
          DTM

          Dave The Moneyer
          Purveyor of high quality cheap Tat
          Moneyer to the World