A couple neat ancient coins showing moneying scenes/tools

  • Brian Ferguson
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 2, 2011
      I stumbled upon these pages today:

      http://www.vroma.org/images/mcmanus_images/indexcoins.html
      http://www.vroma.org/images/mcmanus_images/indexcoins2.html

      Which has some neat ancient coins / coin-like-objects depicting
      moneying scenes and tools:

      http://www.vroma.org/images/mcmanus_images/coinmakingtools2.jpg
      denarius depicting Juno Moneta, issued by moneyer T. Carisius, c. 46 BCE

      http://www.vroma.org/images/mcmanus_images/coinmakingcoin.jpg
      brass contorniate, c. 4th century CE
      depicting process of striking coins—bullion is cast into individual
      coin-shaped blanks ("flans"). These are placed on an anvil die
      engraved with the obverse image. A punch die engraved with the reverse
      image is placed on top of the flan and hit with a hammer; both dies
      are struck simultaneously.

      http://www.vroma.org/images/mcmanus_images/coinmaking_vienna.jpg
      another brass coin depicting the process of striking coins, Roman
      Two seated men hold the punch die over the anvil die while a third man
      prepares to strike the dies with a hammer.

      The latter two both appear to show 2-3 man striking, where one or two
      people hold the dies, and one person strikes using both hands on the
      hammer. I've yet to find a medieval image of moneyers that shows a
      person wielding a hammer two-handed while a second person holds the
      dies (though the famous "Emperor Maximilian visiting his mint"
      engraving does appear to show a second person placing flans)

      -Derian.