newbie

  • Jim Gerlinsky
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 2, 2000
      Greeting's unto all on this list,

      I'm new to this list so I figured I should introduce myself,

      I'm Schmett Yrlynska,
      Master of Chokecherry Forge, in the west reaches of the Barony of Myrgan
      Wood, in the Principality of Avacal, in the Kindom of Avacal.

      I've been interesting in minting for some time now. I havent done any
      yet and will be asking some rather basic questions so I appoligize in
      advance.

      My main question at the moment is how do you keep the dies in aligment?
      Free hand? or do you use a jig?

      my online smithy can be veiwed at,

      http://www.theringlord.com/chokecherryforge

      thankyou,
      Schmett
    • Charles Buckley/Boulder/IBM
      Message 2 of 2 , Nov 3, 2000
        >I'm new to this list so I figured I should introduce myself,

        >I'm Schmett Yrlynska,
        >Master of Chokecherry Forge, in the west reaches of the Barony of Myrgan
        >Wood, in the Principality of Avacal, in the Kindom of Avacal.

        >I've been interesting in minting for some time now. I havent done any
        >yet and will be asking some rather basic questions so I appoligize in
        >advance.

        >My main question at the moment is how do you keep the dies in aligment?
        >Free hand? or do you use a jig?

        I use some 1" metal conduit. I cut a piece about 4" long. Then I cut a
        slice out of one side so that
        the conduit now has a "C" cross-section. I then flare out both ends as a
        guide.

        I slide the reverse die into one end. I then drop the coin into the
        conduit from the other. I then
        slap in the obverse die from above, then hit the die. Pop them apart and on
        to the next coin.. The slot is
        useful for needle-node pliers.

        Owain ap Maredudd