New member

  • mefecit
    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 26, 2009
      Hi:
      I am only on the edges of the SCA, I used to attend events in the late 1970's and early 1980's, then a few in the past decade.
      I have a deep interest in the tech of past eras, as it is how I make my living. I started my 1st shop in 1979 and have been working full time from then as a blacksmith , silversmith , cutler , jeweler , tool& die maker. All types of projects, all types of material, needles to ship anchors.
      Still learning and tring new stuff.
      Hope to post a few more pictures. One skill I am still working on is web design, my site is still building.
      I saw a post from last year about heat treating dies. That is something I know.Punches, gravers are things I have made in the hundreds.

      Live in the Eastern panhandle of WV , in what is known in SCA as the Shire of Sylvan Glen.

      I also have punch press and drop hammer and have or can obtain almost any metal or alloy{no Plutonium please}.
      Bye
      Daniel Tokar
      The Willow Forge
      Shepherdstown WV 25443
    • J Coffman
      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 26, 2009
        Greetings and welcome Daniel,

        Always glad to see a fellow Moneyer out there anywhere in the Society. Coining as you are aware can really get under your skin. Most of us no matter what station or skill keep a hand in the art for many years.
        My small efforts at trying to bring a unity of Moneyers throughout the Known World has met with some success. There are now a number of Kingdom Guilds and small workshops spread almost everywhere. In the end though, those endeavors came about from individual effort and group achievement. Not just because of my preaching, though I do like the conceit of thinking I have played some role.
        Please feel free to ask questions and to share your own discoveries. They may well help others in their own work. Additionally try hard to be a comfort to others, and remember that tone is never clear in the electronic world.

        regards,

        Emmerich
      • JonThomme De Claydon
        Message 3 of 6 , Mar 26, 2009
          Greetings Sylvan,
          Did you mention a web site?
          I am interested in functional obsolescence and have interest in anything that can be made by hand in my garage.
          Welcome

          In service to the dream

          Lord Jon Thomme de Claydon
          Reeve de Lyondemere

          Gold is for the mistress
          Silver for the maid
          R. Kipling
        • mefecit
          Message 4 of 6 , Mar 27, 2009
            Hello:
            I will reply to both welcomes. Thanks for the greetings. Like most craftsmen I am prone to pride of skill, and like most , am normally talking with people in the Mundane and unaware world. So please excuse any tendency to explain the commonly known, as a bad habit .
            I am learning web stuff, so the building page is www.willowforge.com . When I saw my 30th year of work starting , I went back to see what I have done. 6000+ projects ,almost no pictures before 2000 , so only have a couple hundred projects to sort thru for the page's picture galleries. I learned how to make Damascus steel faster than this web stuff!
            Hope to help!
            Bye
            Daniel
          • JonThomme De Claydon
            Message 5 of 6 , Mar 27, 2009
              The web site works well, looks like you are getting the basics down.
              The tree gate with the snow on it completely threw me. Excellent work, lovely concept.
              It would be great to see more of your art.
              --
              In service to the dream

              Lord Jon Thomme de Claydon
              Reeve de Lyondemere

              Gold is for the mistress
              Silver for the maid
              R. Kipling
            • mefecit
              Message 6 of 6 , Mar 27, 2009
                Hi :
                Thanks, I want to have galleries of different types of work with details on the major projects, Only need a month off work to do it!

                Thought sombody would have looked at the pictures I posted on the group's page. The double book matched hands, mirrored positive and negative hands , all done with punch, files and hand gravers, life size is about as big as a nickle.By the way , that was also mother daugther transfered to make 12 identical working punches in W-1 tool steel, hardened to R C-55.
                Bye Daniel