2 set die production hours.

  • Jasper Murtagh
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 1, 2000
      Just a quick summary on my second set of coins. The first set I
      tossed
      out around Gulf Wars did not like them.
      July 3 hours hand filing and dremeling one part of the die smooth.
      August 27 Th 2 hours with propane torch melting solder down to dots.
      August 28 Th 3 hours pounding dots flat. Punching out planchets.
      Melting excess and making dots.
      August 29 Th 2 hours as above
      August 30 Th 3 hours as above. However solder ran out at 170
      planchets. Switched to pewter and started using electric melter.
      August 31, 2000 15 minutes in morning to punch out planchets. 30
      minutes to finish planchets. 1 hour to finish die.

      Total hours Planchets production approx 11 hours for 256 . Die
      making
      4 hours.

      Now time are not exact because I did not punch a clock and was
      interupted. Also I got faster when I used the electric melter.
      Some problems. I need to get practice pouring dots. Occasionally the
      dots would stick to the sheet pan. Any suggestions?
    • Jasper Murtagh
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 4, 2000
        Add 45 minutes to the total for striking the 256 coins.

        Problems.
        I still did not get my dies totally flat and flush.
        Also I for got to reverse the image on 1 side of the coin.
        The coin is replica of a Celtic stater.
      • Mark Mettler
        Message 3 of 3 , Sep 4, 2000
          >>Add 45 minutes to the total for striking the 256 coins.

          Wow, that is one coin every 10 seconds basically. Does not seem too bad
          until you consider that in that hand is a five pound hammer. I imagine
          Popey forarms will be obvious on Jasper the next time we see him.

          On getting your dies perfectly flat: I purchased my most recent cold
          roll from a machine shop. I had them cut a little longer than normal
          because I like getting my entire hand on them. Then I ask the shop to
          machine the ends to remove the saw marks. This leaves an exact level
          surface with just some minor rings from the lathe bit. This will allow
          you to do your sanding starting on a very stable surface. Of course if
          you have access to a machine metal lathe, you could even finish them
          finer, but alas I don't have any experience in that area.

          So were these double sided coins?