RE: [sca_moneyer] Re: Coin Blanks...

  • andrew@prometheusmotionpictures.com
    Message 1 of 10 , Apr 1, 2008

      Well,  Ideally I would like to make 600 or so coins that have a "silver look".  I'm not willing to pay for silver, and I believe the blanks we used at the Pennsic workshop were made of a zinc -pueter hybrid.  However, I remember that stiking took a while to get used to and I would like to make 600 good coins, thereby requiring me to likely get a thousand blanks or so.  So, what kind of price is that looking at?

      Thanks so much!

      Gabriel

      While the price of metal has risen a fair amount since last year, we
      just did resupply in the West. Let me know what your needs are and
      perhaps we can get them to you.

      Emmerich/former West Kingdom Guild Minister/current West kingdom Guild
      Secretary/current Inter-Kingdom Guild Minster yada yada yada

      --- In sca_moneyer@yahoogroups.com, andrew@... wrote:

      > Hi,
      >
      > I took a coin making class at Pennsic 35 (we built the die's and
      made a few coins), and wanted to make a few more. Does your guild
      still sell the blanks? If not, might you be able to point me in the
      direction of where I could purchase some?

      > Thanks!
      >
      > Gabriel

    • Tim Ball
      Message 2 of 10 , Apr 1, 2008
        Hi Andrew,

        If I remmber when we first started out in the old days we used soder lead free. We cut it in to 1 in long pices and torch then in to drops and pound them out. I know it takes a long time but it looks period and if you get a group of freinds and some beer you can make a pounding party out of it. Hey it is just a idea if you can't find any way. Have fun......

        Timas

        andrew@... wrote:
        Well,  Ideally I would like to make 600 or so coins that have a "silver look".  I'm not willing to pay for silver, and I believe the blanks we used at the Pennsic workshop were made of a zinc -pueter hybrid.  However, I remember that stiking took a while to get used to and I would like to make 600 good coins, thereby requiring me to likely get a thousand blanks or so.  So, what kind of price is that looking at?
        Thanks so much!
        Gabriel

        While the price of metal has risen a fair amount since last year, we
        just did resupply in the West. Let me know what your needs are and
        perhaps we can get them to you.

        Emmerich/former West Kingdom Guild Minister/current West kingdom Guild
        Secretary/current Inter-Kingdom Guild Minster yada yada yada

        --- In sca_moneyer@yahoogroups.com, andrew@... wrote:

        > Hi,
        >
        > I took a coin making class at Pennsic 35 (we built the die's and
        made a few coins), and wanted to make a few more. Does your guild
        still sell the blanks? If not, might you be able to point me in the
        direction of where I could purchase some?

        > Thanks!
        >
        > Gabriel

      • J Coffman
        Message 3 of 10 , Apr 1, 2008
          Also-I need a time frame and coin size. Penny would be ideal (3/4 inch.

          Emmerich

          --- In sca_moneyer@yahoogroups.com, andrew@... wrote:

          > Well, Ideally I would like to make 600 or so coins that have a
          "silver look". I'm not willing to pay for silver, and I believe the
          blanks we used at the Pennsic workshop were made of a zinc -pueter
          hybrid. However, I remember that stiking took a while to get used to
          and I would like to make 600 good coins, thereby requiring me to
          likely get a thousand blanks or so. So, what kind of price is that
          looking at?
          > Thanks so much!
          > Gabriel

          > While the price of metal has risen a fair amount since last year, we
          > just did resupply in the West. Let me know what your needs are and
          > perhaps we can get them to you.
          >
          > Emmerich/former West Kingdom Guild Minister/current West kingdom Guild
          > Secretary/current Inter-Kingdom Guild Minster yada yada yada
          >
          > --- In sca_moneyer@yahoogroups.com, andrew@ wrote:
          > >
          > > Hi,
          > >
          > > I took a coin making class at Pennsic 35 (we built the die's and
          > made a few coins), and wanted to make a few more. Does your guild
          > still sell the blanks? If not, might you be able to point me in the
          > direction of where I could purchase some?
          > >
          > > Thanks!
          > >
          > > Gabriel

        • klessig
          Message 4 of 10 , Apr 5, 2008
            Gabriel wrote:
            Well,  Ideally I would like to make 600 or so coins that have a "silver look".  I'm not willing to pay for silver, and I believe the blanks we used at the Pennsic workshop were made of a zinc -pueter hybrid.  However, I remember that stiking took a while to get used to and I would like to make 600 good coins, thereby requiring me to likely get a thousand blanks or so.  So, what kind of price is that looking at?
            Thanks so much!
            Gabriel

            Well it would have been my class you took, and it was NOT a zinc based metal at all. It was pewter, and the exact same alloy you would get from master Emmerich. [Actually it would be the exact same blanks)
            I will probably have more this Pennsic, or you can order them from the guild.

            The price of metal has indeed gone up (darn near doubled over the last two years) but the labor is still the more significant portion of the cost. We do get the bulk rate, since we order in lots from 100 to 500 lbs at a time.

            I clearly need to concentrate on teaching how to make blanks from pellets, something I have been glossing over due to time constraints.

            As far as getting good strikes, as I mentioned in class, it will help SIGNIFICANTLY if you use a larger bolster or anvil, and have it on concrete or some other rock solid surface. IT also helps if it is at the right height for the striker. That stump was set to be a little lower than right for me, I am taller than average. so it may have been too high for you.

          • andrew@prometheusmotionpictures.com

              Message 6 of 10 , Apr 5, 2008
                Andrew, per our conversation I am working out the details for
                you to get blanks from the Guild in the West. Since you requested 1
                inch and delivery in time for Pennsic I think we can accommodate you.
                Chandra whom you took the class from is in the Western Guild perhaps
                he may even put them in your hands.

                Master Emmerich of Vakkerfjell
                Secretary West Kingdom Moneyers Guild
                Interkingdom Moneyers Guild Minister

                Message 7 of 10 , Apr 5, 2008
                  Master Emmerich,

                  To clarify, I need to have the coins made by Pennsic, but I would still love to see Chandra! I started work on the die's today infact......

                  Thanks for helping me to acquire some blanks, I appreciate the effort. I had thought they would be far easier to come by then it has turned out, and am VERY thankful I was able to find the workshop handout with contact information.

                  Best,

                  Gabriel