How many

  • Bart
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 29, 2008
      What is the most copins any opf you have struck in a day?

      I was chatting with some of the other Northshield moneyers at a demo
      this weekend. After telling the umpteenth mundance how many coins we
      think a mint produced in a day is 15,000 or so we got to wondering how
      many we could strike in a day. Anybody out there ever strike 15,00 in a
      day or even of a single issue?

      bart
    • Dave T Moneyer
      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 29, 2008
        The general rule of thumb  is that a hammerman will strike 10Lb of silver  pennies per day or approximatly 2500 strikes per day, a reasonable rate of production is 5-6 coins / minute, 300 / hour 2500/day (allowing for natural breaks) This figure is attainable and maintainable (speaking from experience) and at the end of the day you are ready for a pint.
        disclaimer, to ensure full production the hammerman needs to have a constant supply of blanks usually supplied by the other mint workers (cf 15-16th century mint illustrations from the continent ) if the moneyer has to produce his own blanks then the figure drops considerably.
        The major mints such as London and Lincoln could have up to 30 moneyers opperating (all depending upon the silver supply) and mintage figures of approx 60,000,000 in a single year (1004AD,  6000 reverse dies assuming the minimum figure of 10,000 strikes per reverse die ) were not unknown
        DTM

        Bart <bart@...> wrote:
        What is the most copins any opf you have struck in a day?

        I was chatting with some of the other Northshield moneyers at a demo
        this weekend. After telling the umpteenth mundance how many coins we
        think a mint produced in a day is 15,000 or so we got to wondering how
        many we could strike in a day. Anybody out there ever strike 15,00 in a
        day or even of a single issue?

        bart

        Dave The Moneyer
        Purveyor of high quality cheap Tat
        Moneyer to the World
        regular prices for reasonable customers

      • Brian Ferguson
        Message 3 of 5 , Jan 29, 2008
          750 is my one-day maximum, I think.

          -Derian le Beton.

          > What is the most copins any opf you have struck in a day?
          >
          > I was chatting with some of the other Northshield moneyers at a demo
          > this weekend. After telling the umpteenth mundance how many coins we
          > think a mint produced in a day is 15,000 or so we got to wondering how
          > many we could strike in a day. Anybody out there ever strike 15,00 in a
          > day or even of a single issue?
          >
          > bart
        • J Coffman
          Message 4 of 5 , Jan 29, 2008
            Hey Bart,

            In the West we have had many points in time in which we produced
            abundant issues. I can think back to A.S. 25 or so when the first big
            numbers rolled off for us. In one weekend from raw stock about 14 of
            us produced 2000+ Groats from scratch.
            A few years later Badric and I produced 1800 pieces in two metals
            (Brass and Pewter) three denominations just the two of us in 3 days
            time. Whew.
            Multiple issues topping site tokens and the like have run into 1500
            to 2000 and generally, and one issue done entirely by yours truly with
            no help in 96 was 3000. Very sneaky though, I struck the coins and
            then cut those in half and holed each piece. So I really only struck 1500.

            Good luck Bart, by the way your Knights Head coin is really
            good(outstanding really). You have come a long way indeed in your
            studies. Just think how your work will be as time goes by. I am proud
            of your efforts and look forward to seeing your new creations.

            Emmerich

            --- In sca_moneyer@yahoogroups.com, "Bart" <bart@...> wrote:

            > What is the most copins any opf you have struck in a day?
            >
            > I was chatting with some of the other Northshield moneyers at a demo
            > this weekend. After telling the umpteenth mundance how many coins we
            > think a mint produced in a day is 15,000 or so we got to wondering how
            > many we could strike in a day. Anybody out there ever strike 15,00 in a
            > day or even of a single issue?
            >
            > bart

          • Bart
            Message 5 of 5 , Jan 31, 2008
              Thanks for the info. And thanks for the comments on my denier. I'm
              pretty darned proud of it.

              Bart