Huge Mea Culpa! I missed St Eligius' day

  • Duncan Hepburn
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 6, 2007
      I've been so busy, it slipped right past me.

      Belated celebratory gestures to my brother and sister thumbsmashers for
      one of our patron saints: St Eligius of Noyon

      Son of Eucherius and Terrigia. Extremely skillful metalsmith.
      Apprenticed to the master of the mint at Limoges. Treasurer at
      Marseilles. Master of the mint under King Clotaire II of Paris; a close
      friend of and advisor to Clotaire. Noted for his piety, hard work and
      honesty, Eligius was generous to the poor, ransomed slaves (including
      Saint Tillo of Solignac), built churches, a monastery at Solignac, and
      major convent in Paris. It was said that you could easily find his house
      by the number of poor people there that he was caring for. Counselor to
      and diplomat for King Dagobert I. Friend of Saint Ouen of Rouen with
      whom he formed a small religious society. Persuaded Breton King Judicael
      to accept the authority of Dagobert.

      Ordained in 640. Bishop of Noyon and Tournai in 641. Built the basilica
      of Saint Paul. Preacher in Antwerp, Ghent, and Courtai, with many
      converts, generally brought to the faith by his example of charity and
      work with the poor and sick. Friend and spiritual teacher of Saint
      Godeberta. Encouraged devotion to the saints and reverence for their
      relics; he discovered the remains of Saint Quentin, Saint Piat at
      Seclin, and Saint Lucian at Beauvais, and made many reliquaries himself.
      Miracle worker with the gifts of clairvoyance and prophecy; he foresaw
      the date of his own death.

      He has become the traditional patron of all smiths, metal workers, and
      craftsmen. His patronage of horses and the people who work with them
      stems first from his patronage of smiths and craftmen, but also from his
      having left a horse to a priest at his death. The new bishop liked the
      horse, and took it from the priest. The horse became sick, but recovered
      immediately when it was returned to the priest that Eligius had chosen.
      There is also a legend of Eligius removing a horse's leg in order to
      easy shoe it. In some places horses are blessed on his feast day.
      Through the years, horse-drawn cabs were replaced by motorized ones, and
      stables were supplanted by garages and gas stations, but the patronage
      of the people who do those jobs and work in those places has remained.

      Don Duncan Hepburn
      The Steppes of Ansteorra