Re: [sca_moneyer] Re: Cost of Stamping coins?

  • Jim Gerlinsky
    Message 1 of 6 , Sep 9, 2007
      J Coffman wrote:

      Greetings,

      Costs generally in the West are four pennys for a buck and,
      Groats 2 for a buck. We have a standing list of costs that we employ.

      What is the difference between a penny and a groat?
      I am assuming a groat is twice the size of a penny.

      Schmett
    • Brian Ferguson
      Message 2 of 6 , Sep 9, 2007
        > What is the difference between a penny and a groat?
        > I am assuming a groat is twice the size of a penny.
        > Schmett

        Here are the diameters of several types of English coinage (in inches,
        from Ian's excerpts):

        Medieval 'broad' Penny 0.750
        Medieval Half Groat 0.937
        Medieval Groat 1.062
        Medieval Shilling 1.000

        SCA groats are usually 1" in diameter, and pennies are 0.75". A groat
        requires a larger die (1.25" usually) and significantly more force to
        strike than a penny. A groat has about 78% more area than a penny.

        -Derian le Breton.
      • J Coffman
        Message 3 of 6 , Sep 9, 2007
          Well Derian kinda beat me to the answer, Yes the sizes we employ are
          correct, however it is worth nothing it is a general standard that the
          Guilds use to describe the coins we use, often having not altogether
          always employed as a standard in period-more of a average.

          Emmerich