Re: Price on Honey

  • sorchaprechan
    Message 1 of 11 , Mar 22 11:50 AM
      $3 a pound is my target price, though a) I rarely get it and b) the more honey I buy at once the more likely I am to get close. A gallon is 12 lbs., so you're paying $2.50.

      Sorcha

      --- In sca_brew@yahoogroups.com, david.gillam@... wrote:

      > I have a question for all the Mead Makers in the group. We are able to get a gal of local honey for $30.00 is that too much or a good price?

    • dpgillam
      Message 2 of 11 , Apr 1, 2013
        Shipping is "free"; I go to his farm and get it. Its a "wild" honey, as the bees work the farm, and he collects the honey; no attempt to get a specific flower, as far as I know. Local is within an hour drive (Middlebury Indiana)
        We have a summer event coming (date is still tentative) and Im wondering if it would be worth-while to grab some of the gallon jugs (I forget how many pounds that is) and sell them to mead makers that show up.

        Not bad at all. I pay a little more, but free shipping when I get 5 gallons at a time.  Where is local to you? Do they offer only one type of honey?

        -Rhys

        On Mar 21, 2013 7:17 PM, <david.gillam@...> wrote:

        I have a question for all the Mead Makers in the group.  We are able to get a gal of local honey for $30.00 is that too much or a good price?

      • Carl Swan
        Message 3 of 11 , Apr 1, 2013
          a gallon of honey averages about 12 lbs

          Seamus

          --
          Carl Swan

          "Do or do not. There is no try." -Yoda
        • sorchaprechan
          Message 4 of 11 , Apr 2, 2013
            Sounds like you should put it out on your kingdom and baronial brewers lists and see if folks would come buy from you. I would, if I were anywhere nearby. Don't torment the rest of us, mmmmkay?

            Oh, if the farmer has time to pay attention, he knows what the bees have been feeding on. They're monocultural - they use up a source before moving on, so you usually have a few days (or longer) to figure it out - but that's assuming you have time to watch where they go.